Jan 29, 2016

Library Finds: Contemporary Fiction

The Friday 56. Grab a book, turn to page 56 or 56% of your eReader. Find any sentence that grabs you. Post it, and add your URL post in Linky at Freda's Voice.
Also visit Book Beginning at Rose City Reader.

I returned two books to the library yesterday and borrowed three more. I do hope to read them among the others I've downloaded from NetGalley and from amazon. Cross my fingers! 



How to Start a Fire by Lisa Lutz, published May 2015.
Genre: women's fiction, contemporary fiction
Book beginning:"Are you lost?" the man asked."No," she said."Where are you headed?"Don't know.""Seat taken?" he asked."As you can see, it's empty," she said.       
Re Jane by Patricia Park, published May 5, 2015.
Book beginning: Home was this northeastern knot of Queens, in the town (if you could call it a town) of Flushing....They say the neighborhood once contained a hearty swath of the American population, but when I landed here as an infant, Flushing was starting to give way to the Koreans.... This was my America: all Korean, all the time. 
Page 56:
The air was filled with excited chatter. Devon and I were the only ones not speaking Chinese. 

The Diver's Clothes Lie Empty by Vendela Vida, published June 2, 2015

Book beginning: When you find your seat you glance at the businessman sitting next to you and decide he's almost handsome. This is the second leg of your trip from Miami to Casablanca, and the distance traveled already muted the horror of the last two months. 

I have started to read The Diver's Clothes Lie Empty and find it intriguing and well written. A young woman takes off on her own to a foreign country and has to survive after her passport and wallet are stolen. 

What intriguing books have you discovered this week? 

6 comments:

  1. These all sound tempting...I have read and enjoyed How To Start a Fire...loved it enough to order The Passenger, by this author, which I'll be reading soon. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine:
    “GRAY MOUNTAIN”

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great selection! I'm especially curious about Re Jane. Hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not my usual style but I am always looking into branching out into new genres. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm most curious by Re Jane, and all the Asian references. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had my eyeballs on How to Start a Fire foreverrr. And I admit, it's mostly cover love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very intriguing! I especially like the looks of How to Start a Fire and Re Jane!

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Three Novels: Japanese Mystery; Family Drama; Ecuadorian

  Books in the mail The Night of Baba Yaga  by Akira Otani (translated from the Japanese). July 2, 2024, Soho Crime This is an unusual novel...