Aug 26, 2016

Reader, I Married HIm, edited by Tracy Chevalier: Book Beginning

Stories Inspired by Jane Eyre
Reader, I Married Him: Stories Inspired by Jane Eyre, edited by Tracy Chevalier, 2016 
Short story beginning:
To Hold by Joanna Briscoe, page 55
Reader, I married him because I had to. 
You see, we did in those days. There was no glimmer of a choice. 
My hand in marriage was requested by the boy with the triangular Adam's apple and a shuffling thirst for a girl. He was the lad who worked for his parents' motor garage on a yard beyond the village, and I hadn't expected his offer after a lifetime of nods, three conversations, one dance and no kiss with him. But he knocked on our door and asked my father, who postponed his answer, crimson-necked. Using half an excuse, he told Dougie Spreckley to wait. 
Twenty-one writers have contributed to this short story collection, with the same theme based on the Jane Eyre novel. I have read several and am slowly enjoying the rest! 

Memes: The Friday 56. Grab a book, turn to page 56 or 56% of your eReader. Find any sentence that grabs you. Post it, and add your URL post in Linky at Freda's Voice. Also visit Book Beginning at Rose City Reader.

15 comments:

  1. AAAH!! I'll have to look into this one! I am currently listening to Jane Eyre on audio and I already purchased Jane Steele. Love the story. Great selection. Hope you will have a great weekend. Here's my Friday Meets: http://marelithalkink.blogspot.co.za/2016/08/friday-meets-26-august-2016.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't know about Jane Steele's satire on the book. Hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. I enjoy this type of book, primarily so I can feel grateful not to have been born in that era, when marriage was the only option.

    Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE GIRLS OF AUGUST”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing how little income, from the 21st century perspective, people lived on in those days.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great collection! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently read a retelling of Jane Eyre and I enjoyed it. Normally short stories do not hold my interest so I will think about this one. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like short stories because I can read one at a time, at my leisure.

      Delete
  5. Harvee,

    This sounds like a fun, Jane Eyre inspired collection! Take your time and savor the stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading one at a time, Suko, in between full length books!

      Delete
  6. Ooh. Color me intrigued. I love Jane Eyre and collections!

    MY Friday 56 from Alpha Unleashed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any Jane Eyre spinoff novels.

      Delete
  7. Sounds fascinating! Although, I confess that my fist word association with the title was not Jane Eyre, it was So I Married an Ax Murderer. Oh well, I'm having a low brow weekend.

    Thanks for sharing the beginning on BBOF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds so cool - I might have to keep my eyes open for this one!

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Three Novels: Japanese Mystery; Family Drama; Ecuadorian

  Books in the mail The Night of Baba Yaga  by Akira Otani (translated from the Japanese). July 2, 2024, Soho Crime This is an unusual novel...