Mar 24, 2017

Book Beginning: Death at Breakfast by Beth Gutcheon

Death at Breakfast, a novel by Beth Gutcheon, May 10, 2016.
"... a stylish and witty mystery series featuring a pair of unlikely investigators—a shrewd novel of manners set in small-town New England." Featuring recently retired private school head Maggie Detweiler and society matron Hope Babbin in a psychological mystery. 

Book beginning:
Maggie Detweiler, new-minted woman of leisure and not at all sure she was going to like it, had no sense of impending tragedy as she posed in front of the broad stone veranda of the Oquossoc Mountain Inn that bright October morning. She didn't really know what made her say to Hope, "When your picture's being taken, don't you always wonder if it's the one that will run with your obituary?"

Page 56:
"I'm sorry. I know it's been difficult. I will have Cherry take the dog for a walk, and please apologize to the staff for me. There was an accident, this morning, you know, and we're all upset."

What are you reading this weekend?

Memes: The Friday 56. Grab a book, turn to page 56 or 56% of your eReader. Find any sentence that grabs you. Post it, and add your URL post in Linky at Freda's Voice. Also visit Book Beginning at Rose City Reader.

11 comments:

  1. Love the cover and I would surely read on.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this author...my two favorites from her are Still Missing and Domestic Pleasures...but I also enjoyed this one a lot. Since it is the beginning of a new series, I am eager to see what comes next.

    Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “PERSONS UNKNOWN”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read anything by this author before, but I do like the beginning and 56.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover sure looks spooky! The characters sound quirky, and I love psychological mysteries. Thanks for the recommendation.
    My Friday post features The Pecan Man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd say that one should be upset if the accident is a murder. Ha! My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like it could be great!

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing the beginning and the "56"! I hope you enjoy reading it. Have a wonderful weekend, Harvee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have me curious for more! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The beginning is very eerie. I like the unconventional sleuths.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just watched your first one :) It is very nice. thanks for sharing http://aazae.com/

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...