Sep 20, 2017

Review: Little Fires Everywhere, a novel by Celeste Ng

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng, published September 12, 2017, review copy thanks to Penguin Press
Genre: literary fiction
Objective rating: 5/5

This is a story not only about Chinese-Americans but about adoptions, infertility, mother-daughter relationships, and teen angst.  Set in an affluent suburb of Cleveland, Mia and her daughter Pearl arrive and hope this time this is a place they can stay after years of wandering around the U.S.

But the adoption of an abandoned Chinese infant by an American family brings conflict to the town and involves Mia and her daughter. What happens when the mother of the child appears and wants her baby returned?

I loved that the book involved so many different issues and themes. The characters are complex yet believable and the plot very revealing of human nature.

I highly recommend this novel for those interested in the above themes and those who enjoy good literary fiction.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this novel, Harvee. I have my eye on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like it, Suko. Lots to think about.

      Delete
  2. I've seen this around. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read this one soon!

    https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/09/everything-book-ish-readathoncybilstexa.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eager to read your comments on the book, Deb.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...