Nov 19, 2017

Sunday Salon: November Rains are Cold-ish

New Boy (Hogarth Shakespeare)
New Boy

Hag-Seed
Hag-Seed

It's good reading weather. It has been overcast, raining all day, and cold.  There has been no encouragement to go outdoors the past two days, and more cold rain is on the way! Oh, November!

I am reading:
Future Home of the Living God by Louise Erdrich, November 14, 2017, Harper
Genre: dystopian thriller 

Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler, a contemporary novel which retells The Taming of the Shrew. 

I'm also finishing up a few ebook mysteries in French, brushing up on the language.
No new books have arrived, but that's not a problem, as I have a very tall TBR stack waiting.

Two new books I'm interested in are retellings of Shakespeare's plays, published by Hogarth Press. Hag-Seed by Margaret Atwood, October 11, 2016, retells The Tempest.  Also New Boy by Tracy Chevalier, May 11, 2017, which retells Othello. There are others in the series I hope to get to soon.

What are you reading this week?             
Visit The Sunday Post  hosted by The Caffeinated Bookreviewer,  It's Monday, What Are You Reading? by Book Date.

18 comments:

  1. I loved Vinegar Girl...and I am tempted about HagSeed. Enjoy your week, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to read all in the Shakespeare retelling series.

      Delete
  2. I read Vinegar Girl, but since I didn't blog about it, now I can't remember it. Ugh. Hag-Seed and New Boy look tempting. I'm thinking about re-reading the original plays then reading the re-tellings as I finish the originals. Sounds like a good winter project :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with it. It does sound good for winter.

      Delete
  3. I’m trying to read all of Margaret Atwood’s work, but I haven’t gotten to Hag-Seed yet. I’ve heard good things about it. Have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Sunday, Harvee. I've been away but am back now. It sounds like it was perfect reading weather for you recently. We've had warmer weather here. Vinegar Girl sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back. I miss the warm weather. Enjoy it!

      Delete
  5. I am fascinated by the sudden influx of Shakespeare retellings. I think the only couple I've read so far are Christopher Moore's Fool and his Serpent of Venice (be warned he's an odd duck writer). I have quite a few more on my bookshelves waiting for me though (and Ian McEwan's Nutshell is on my Christmas list!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have one of Moore's books on my shelves. Will try to get to it sometime in the winter.

      Delete
  6. I'm also reading Future Home of the Living God and am surprised how much I like it. How are you feeling about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ilike it so far. Haven't gotten to the dystopic part as yet.

      Delete
  7. Vinegar Girl is on my TBR. I liked Taming of the Shrew so I'm curious about this one. I'm reading a middle grade fiction book called Greenglass House which is a little odd but really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to have time to hit all the Shakespeare retellings, just to compare.

      Delete
  8. While I like the idea of Shakespearean retellings, I’m not as wild about the actual books. It’s hard to top Shakespeare and the new books seem pale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dunbar, the retelling of King Lear, was pretty dramatic and quite good. You might like that one.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...