Jan 21, 2018

Sunday Salon: Literary Fiction and Cozies

The cold freeze has broken, at least for a while, and I can go about doing chores again without bundling up like a bear. Next week will be busy.

Everything Here Is Beautiful
Everything Here is Beautiful by Mira T. Lee is a new book I found while browsing with no thought of buying until I started reading and had to take it home.

It's a heartbreaking page turner that pulls you into the lives of two sisters, how the elder one, Miranda, handles her younger sister's severe bipolar disorder. I was left wondering, what if...? Could a different approach have made a difference? Maybe, but then again, maybe not.

I recommend the novel for its insight into family dynamics, the immigrant experience, and the problem of mental illness in families. The book covers several timely topics.

Rating: 5/5

Three paperback cozies I received from Berkley Prime Crime have the expected teasing titles and eye catching covers.
Clairvoyant and Present Danger (Bay Island Psychic Mystery #3)
Clairvoyant and Present Danger
Clairvoyant and Present Danger by Lena Gregory is #3 in the Bay Island Psychic Mystery.
After communications with a ghost land her in the middle of a murder investigation, Cass Donovan has to wonder if her gifts are really more a curse.
Pekoe Most Poison (A Tea Shop Mystery #18)

Pekoe Most Poison by Laura Childs is the 18th in the Tea Shop Mystery Series.  I love these books for their descriptions of the more genteel and traditional side of the south, in particular Charleston, and for the recipes for sandwiches, scones, and cookies always included at the end of each book. 

The setting is the Indigo Tea Shop with owner Theodosia Browning and her tea expert/sommelier Drayton, who manage to become embroiled in intrigues and murders that they have to help solve. In this book, Theodosia is invited to a "Rat Tea" by a prominent Charleston hostess. I can't wait to find out just what a rat tea is and why it has this off-putting name.

The Fast and the Furriest (Second Chance Cat Mystery #5)
The Fast and the Furriest by Sofie Ryan is #5 in the Second Chance Cat Mystery series set in North Harbor, Maine. Sarah Grayson runs the Second Chance bookstore with the help of her right-hand man Mac and her rescue cat, Elvis. Mac gets into trouble when an old flame shows up in town and then get killed. He is the main suspect. 

What are you reading this week?
The Sunday Post  hosted by The Caffeinated Bookreviewer,  It's Monday, What Are You Reading? by Book Date., and Mailbox Monday.

21 comments:

  1. I love all your cozies. I also like the book about the sisters. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winter is a perfect time for cozies as well as literary fiction. I'm very interested in the book about dealing with mental illness in a family. Stories always handle issues like that better than nonfiction, I think. I will have to take a closer look. Thanks for sharing these!

    https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2018/01/its-cold-and-ive-read-lots-and-lots-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, lovely books! I adore the titles of cozies...and Everything Here is Beautiful sounds like my kind of read. Thanks for sharing, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed Pekoe Most Poison. The stuff about the rat tea was crazy and I do love her recipes. My go-to scone recipe came from a Laura Childs book. Enjoy your new cozies and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have her newest book from Netgalley. Must try the scones some day.

      Delete
  5. These colorful cozy covers are enticing! Enjoy your Sunday, Harvee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also loved Everything Here is Beautiful! Such a sad, but real story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I have Everything Here is Beautiful - it sounds like I need to read it soon.

    All of your new cozies look good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything Here Is Beautiful is on my list. Sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cozies have such wonderful titles. I hope you enjoy them all. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Between the titles and the cover art I'm always attracted to cozies. Hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...GORGEOUS covers.

    They all look good and sound good.

    ENJOY!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything Here Is Beautiful sounds like an emotional book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, Everything Here is Beautiful sounds amazing. I’m glad you liked it. Have a good week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love those cozy titles and covers. Everything Here is Beautiful sounds quite interesting/potentially useful. Thanks for sharing your books.
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll be looking for Everything Here is Beautiful. It sounds like a book I'd enjoy. Thanks for including The Fast and the Furriest.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...