Jun 17, 2018

Sunday Salon: Reading Indoors in the Extreme Heat

Hot, hot day predicted, up to 98 degrees today and humid, with a real feel of over 100. Stay indoors, they tell me.

I have some books lined up for indoor reading, while others watch the World Cup.

New books:
Poisoned Pages (A Booktown Mystery, #12)
Poisoned Pages: Booktown Myste
Dyeing Up Loose Ends
Dying Up Loose Ends
Italian Iced (Ethnic Eats Mystery #3)
Read last week:
The Cactus
The Cactus
An independent 45-year-old single woman has her life turned around in The Cactuswith the unexpected death of her mother, a dispute over the will the mother left behind, and the antics of  her irresponsible younger brother Edward and his new friend Rob. This is a sort of romance, so be prepared to be charmed by the gradual change in the main character, prickly Sarah.

Shadow Child
Shadow Child
Shadow Child by Rahna Reiko Rizzuto was an engrossing read that held my interest all the way through. The story centers around identical twins, grandchildren of a couple who were incarcerated during WWII in a Japanese camp in California, and children of a mother who lived during the time of the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The twins grew up in Hawaii, a land of ocean, flowers, and sunshine, but they are shadowed by the past, influenced in subtle and not so subtle ways by their grandparents and their mother's generation of Japanese who endured WWII. They must survive the past and the present in their own way. A five-star read. 

I am now trying to read Whistle in the Dark
Whistle in the Dark by Emma Healey, even though the ARC has such fine print, I have to sit in the sun to read it easily. Wish me luck. It will soon get very hot outside!

Keep cool everyone!
What books are you reading this week?
The Sunday Post  hosted by The Caffeinated Bookreviewer,  It's Monday, What Are You Reading? by Book Date., and Mailbox Monday.

23 comments:

  1. That's a great book haul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have pre-ordered Whistle in the Dark, so hopefully it won't have fine print. Print that is too fine is anathema for me. I've DNFed books for that very thing. But I want to read this one....so please, don't have fine print! LOL.

    Stay cool...and enjoy your reading. Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of these books sound great. It is hot here, too. We are hoping a little tropical disturbance brings some rain and relief from the heat today.

    https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2018/06/best-reads-ever.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the first 4 books you mention and am really excited about them - especially the Kate Carlisle. It's crazy hot here too. I don't mind the heat but the humidity gets to be a bit much sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry that it has been so hot where you are. It has been in the 80s here on Long Island but bearable.

    Shadow Child sounds very good. I like books that hark back to historical events.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great cozy titles! Our weather here is cooler than usual. I hope you enjoyed your reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hot in my neck of the woods too. Enjoy reading indoors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can only wish for warmer weather, it is winter here and it has gotten cold real fast and real cold.

    Angelica @ Paperback Princess

    ReplyDelete
  9. All those cozies look perfect for this hot, hot weather. I wonder if reading Italian Iced would cool me off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cozies will make perfect summer reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These books all look interesting! Have a great week!
    https://shoshireads.weebly.com/home/its-monday-what-are-you-reading3003261

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stay cool, it's really humid here in PA, and it gets unbearable at times!! I love the Buried In Books book, gotta get that one!!
    https://justmeandmyblogreviews.blogspot.com/2018/06/arc-book-review-providence-carol-klepnes.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't realize there is a new Ethnic Easts book out! I just placed a request for it through my library.

    I haven't read the Kate Carlisle or Lorna Barrett series yet, and they keep growing. I need to get started on them soon...they look so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We haven't had overwhelming heat. Temperatures in the 70s and 80s are kind of nice after our cool spring. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many wonderful cozies! Looks like fun reading ahead. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I got all the cozies as well. Enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting selection. Lovely covers on those cozies. Enjoy them all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's been a while since I read anything by Lorna Barrett but I would like to try this one. Nice selection!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...