Aug 17, 2019

Sunday Salon: Books Reviewed and Books Not Yet Read

Finished reading:

Closed Circles by Viveca Sten

Closed Circles by Viveca Sten, borrowed from Amazon Unlimited.

Genre: mystery, police procedural

I really enjoy the books in this series, and will be reading the next, #3, Guiltless soon. The setting of the Swedish archipelago and the touristy island of Sandhamn adds much atmosphere to the story. 

This is part mystery, part police procedural, cleverly written to always keep you on your toes. 

The sailing regatta organized by the Royal Swedish Yacht Club is the starting point for this excellent murder mystery. 


The Blue Hour
The Blue Hour

The Blue Hour by Douglas Kennedy, February 16, 2019, Atria Books

Genre: travel adventure, family drama, contemporary fiction
Setting: Morocco
Source: library book

A couple take their troubles with each other all the way to Morocco, at the insistence of the husband, Paul. His wife Robin goes along but finds out soon that all is not what it seems and that Paul seems to be living a double life, having a past that he never revealed to her.

This dramatic thriller involves accountant Robin and her talented but enigmatic artist husband Paul, in Morocco. Their relationship begins to deteriorate  on this trip, their actions drive them further apart. 

The realism of the novel, while telling a lot about traveling in this North African country,  made me wish for a more artistic and less stark telling of the story, however.

New books:

Cookies and Clairvoyance (Magical Bakery Mystery #8)
Cookies and Clairvoyance, Magical Bakery Mystery by Bailey Cates, August 27, 2019, Berkley

Baker Kathie Lightfoot makes cookies with magical properties. She also acts as an amateur sleuth. 

Silent Night, Deadly Night (A Year-Round Christmas Mystery, #4)
Silent Night, Deadly Night by Vicki Delany, August 27, 2019, Berkley 
In this Year-Round Christmas series, Merry, the owner of a Christmas shop, must solve a murder to keep the spirit of the holiday going.



Memes: 
The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated Bookreviewer. Also,  It's Monday: What Are You Reading, and the Sunday Salon,  Mailbox Monday.

13 comments:

  1. The Blue Hour sounds quite intriguing. I love the setting, and a thriller is always a ride. It seems like thrillers are big right now in the book world. I wonder if thrillers offer escape from the scary real world?

    I'm suddenly at a standstill, reading-wise. I'm still reading Moby Dick, of course, but I'm drawing near the end, and I don't know what I want to read next. I hope something pops up.

    I hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The setting of Closed Circle appeals to me, I hope you continue to enjoy the series.

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cozies look good as does The Blue Hour . I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the covers for Cookies and Clairvoyance and Silent Night, Deadly Night! They're awesome.

    I hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the sound of the Swedish setting in that first book. I've been enjoying some Scandinavian series on Netflix too, there are some really good ones. l

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm on book four of the Bailey Cates's series. I'm happy to see it's still going. My weekly update

    ReplyDelete
  7. These all look good. I have read some by Vicki Delany and enjoyed them. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy reading! I might have to look at Closed Circles. I like the mystery / police stories. Have a lovely week!

    Anne - Books of My Heart Here is my Sunday Post   

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, a new Douglas Kennedy book. I'll have to look for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not familiar with the Sten series but it sounds interesting. I like police procedure.
    Christmas books too. Enjoy all of your books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really want to find a good cozy mystery to read soon! I hope you can stop by:

    https://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2019/08/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-81919.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  12. A good week for you.

    I need to read a cozy mystery. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...