Oct 11, 2020

Sunday Salon: Psychological Thrillers

 Psychological thrillers:

It takes an extraordinary plot to make a psychological thriller stand out so much that you remember it even after reading umpteen similar thrillers. 

After a while, to me, the plots and the books run into one another, and while I enjoy them while reading them, I easily forger them once I've put down the books. Anyone else have this happen?

One memorable thriller because of the unusual characters is The Girl in the Mirror, featuring identical twins who, you guessed it, take each other's place, in a convoluted plot involving murder, deception, an inheritance, and more. 

The Girl in the Mirror, by Rose Carlyle, October 20, 2020, William Morrow. NetGalley


 Other psych thrillers that I enjoyed while reading them include the following. 


The Poison Garden by A.J. Banner, October 22, 2019, Lake Union Publishing. 

Sleepwalking, a secret potion made out of a deadly flower, infidelity of a husband, observant neighbors, and plots to use the poison against one and more people. An enjoyable suspense novel. 


The Good Neighbor by A.J. Banner, September 1, 2015

A fire, two people killed, nosy neighbors, and a questionable marriage. The main character has her hands full looking after the dead couple's child while trying to figure out her own marriage. Enjoyable read.

Both these thrillers by A.J. Banner include the themes of infidelity, and neighbors, good and evil. I'm looking forward to reading the others by the same author and interested to see if the same themes run through them. 

By the way, I've changed my blog name from Book Dilettante to the original: BookBirdDog 

Hope you will keep visiting.. 


What are you reading this week? 

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated Bookreviewer. Also,  It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday Salon

13 comments:

  1. When I saw your blog header, I thought for a moment I was in the wrong place. I like your new-old title. It's certainly easier to spell.

    I'm absolutely terrified of horror, but thrillers sometimes work for me. I've read and enjoyed The Girl on the Train and The Woman in the Window. I seem to like reading books during this time that I didn't like in past times, so maybe I should try more thrillers.

    I hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to get used to the new Blog Title! But I think it's catchy and will be rememebered.

    Oooooh I love psychological thrillers and I haven't read any of these! So yea!!! New books to explore.

    Hope you will have a wonderful week.

    Here's my The Sunday Post #14

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Psych Thrillers, these sound good. I think I read one book by this author in the past.

    Excuse my senior moment Harvee but what was your blog name before, Book Bird Dog....just Book Dilentante?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Diane. I changed from Book Dilettante to BookBirdDog, my original name for this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love a good psychological thriller. Gillian Flynn is my go-to for some of those. I haven't read any of these but I'll add them to my list! Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not one for psychological thrillers... They freak me out and send my overactive imagination into hyperdrive!

    Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am also a fan of mystery / thrillers. The basic setup is the same, which can be said of many different genres, it's the characters that capture me. Happy reading!

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post


    ReplyDelete
  8. Psych thrillers scare me at times, but at other times they make for some very interesting reading. The word dilettante comes from the Italian word dilettare (to delight) which is why I have always liked your blog name. I thought it clever. Any reason why you changed it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura: Re my blog name change, I found another Book Dilettante blog at wordpress and even though it doesn't seem like an active blog, I decided to change my name back to the original BookBirdDog. Problem is, that name calls up all kinds of books on bird dogs on the web. Oh, well....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Harvee, I was surprised by the name change for your blog as well. Enjoy your reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don’t read many thrillers for the exact reason you mentioned. They’re formulaic, so they tend to blur together in my mind. I’m glad you found a few awesome ones.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh I like the sound of that first one! I have the same problem, keeping all the psychological thrillers straight after a while.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I read one book by this author in the past. This is a great book!
    BookYap reviews

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...