Jul 18, 2021

Sunday Salon: The Last Flight by Julie Clark

 Last thriller read: 


The Last Flight by Julie Clark, June 23, 2020, Sourcebooks Landmark

Genre: thriller, mystery

Source; library book

Two women at the airport, running away from unbearable lives, find each other in line and decide to swap plane tickets, purses, suitcases and coats, thus discarding their own identities, hoping to disappear on reaching their new destinations. Will their plan work?

I read this book nonstop and seemed to finish it in a day! It was that suspenseful and riveting. The plot and characters were unique and their dilemmas grabbed me as a reader. A little twist at the end too didn't hurt the interest of the novel. 

And now for an historical novel: 


 China: The Novel by Edward Rutherford, May 11, 2021, Doubleday

Genre: historical novel

Source: library book

The cover grabbed my attention, together with the single word title. It promised a history of modern China in novel form, easier, in my opinion, to read and grasp the complex history. The book description helped: 

The story begins in 1839, at the dawn of the First Opium War, and follows Chinese history through Mao's Cultural Revolution and up to the present day. Rutherfurd chronicles the rising and falling fortunes of members of Chinese, British, and American families, as they negotiate the tides of history.....a deeply researched portrait of Chinese history and society, its ancient traditions and great upheavals, and China's emergence as a rising global power.

I plan to start this soon, at the same time finishing a new literary novel, My Year Abroad by Chang-rae Lee. 

What are you reading this week?

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated Bookreviewer. Also,  It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday Salon


14 comments:

  1. I love it when a thriller really grabs you.

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED The Last Flight and could not put it down as well. Glad it worked for you as well. I also have a eGalley of China but, I haven't gotten to it yet. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Last Flight looks like the kind of story that would hold me hostage. Adding it to my list.

    Enjoy your week, and here are my WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to get too scared when I read thrillers, but I found that I enjoyed The Last Flight very much. It's something we all think of doing, I think, and it's interesting to see what happens.

    Edward Rutherford has done quite a few of those sorts of historical novels. I picked up a copy of Paris: The Novel by Rutherford a few months back, and I planned to read it during Paris in July, but I have gotten caught up in a few light romances set in Paris and I haven't started it yet.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read reviews on the Last Flight and thought that it was intriguing. A bit fantastic but intriguing.
    The historical novel sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting book choices! Chinese history is very challenging.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last Flight seems really great! I will definitely read that one. I'm trying to think if I've ever read anything on Chinese history. Must be interesting!

    Have a good week ahead and happy reading!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm listening to Falling by T.J. Newman and it's one of the best books I've read in a long time. Last Flight sounds good so I may get a copy soon.

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Last Flight sounds interesting! I hope you have a good week!
    Lisa Loves Literature

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Last Flight grabbed me too. Look forward to more from that author. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Last Flight does sound good. Looks like I'll be adding it to my wishlist. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Harvee,

    The Last Flight sounds terrific!
    I hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’m going to look for The Last Flight, sounds intriguing.
    I love Edward Rutherfurd! Haven’t had a chance to get China but I have enjoyed many of his previous books such as ThevFirest and the Ireland trilogy.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...