Jun 5, 2022

Sunday Salon: A New Book and Recently Read

 

Mud Lilies

by ublished May 21st 2022 by Cormorant Books
Genre: urban fiction, literary fiction 
Source: publisher review copy

About the book: The night fourteen-year-old Chanie Nyrider ran away from her abusive parents, she was saved by an older woman who  offered Chanie a new life working as a prostitute. With nowhere to turn, Chanie was drawn into Edmonton’s dark underbelly, where she survived until arrested four years later. She was given two options: jail or a high school program for troubled youth. Mud Lilies is the powerful story of a young woman finding a path of hope in the darkest of places and defiantly choosing to pursue it.

“Harrowing, hopeful, and informed by Ramayan's own experiences as a runaway to Edmonton, Mud Lilies is a hymn to the power of one young woman's defiant spark of life, a story of grit and wisdom set against a backdrop of cruelty and indifference.”  Grace O’Connell, Open Book

Recently read:

HARVEE’S RECENT UPDATES on Goodreads

Harvee rated a book it was amazing
The Family Chao by Lan Samantha Chang
The Family Chao
by Lan Samantha Chang (Goodreads Author)
It's amazing that a chance encounter with a stranger, Zhang Fujian, carrying a small fortune in his bag would lead to the downfall of the Chao family patriarch, owner of the Chao restaurant, and lead to suspicion falling on the three sons. I enjoyed the characterization of each son, so different from one another, and the denouement of the plot in this domestic drama. There is a murder to be solved, also, but I liked that the brothers join together in the face of being children of immigrants in a small American town, and in the face of possible, pending tragedy.
Delete

Harvee rated a book  
The Boy With the Bookstore by Sarah Echavarre Smith
The romance between Max and Joelle began and blossomed early in the book, which surprised me, as I wondered, where the story would go from there. I liked that family plays such an important role in Joelle's life and that Max comes to value the idea of family as something he never had. I also liked that problems with Max's bookstore and Joelle's bakery also moved the story forward.

The romance could have had more internal challenges, however, instead of all from outside conflicts. Also, the constant praises for Joelle as a dutiful daughter, praises from Max and from her family were a little overdone throughout the book. But overall, this was a pleasant read, a contemporary young romance novel.

What are you reading this week? 

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso,  It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the ShelvesMailbox Monday  

41 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a good reading week! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to be reading big-time! I'm not reading that much these days. It's too pretty outside.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm even reading outside under an umbrella!

      Delete
  3. An interesting selection, thanks for sharing your thoughts

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lemon has caught my eye. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mud Lilies sounds like a rough read. It's interesting that it is based on the author's own life.

    The Boy with the Bookstore initially seemed promising (I'm a sucker for anything set in a bookstore) but I'm not sure that the romance would work for me, blossoming as it did so early in the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too at first, but other problems kept the lovers apart

      Delete
  6. The Boy with the Bookstore looks good. All the books on your list look good. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh that looks like a good one. It does sound like a powerful read... and Lemon looks good also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mud Lilies sounds like an intense read...both heartbreaking and hopeful?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did a spotlight on Mud Lilies...wasn't sure I would like it.

    Enjoy this upcoming week and your books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My spotlight is here too. The book looks pretty intense.

      Delete
  10. Looks like you've had a good book week. :)

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea to utilize Goodreads and not re-create what you've already done. I haven't heard of any of these books, so it is a good intro, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mud Lilies sounds intense. I'm glad it's a hopeful story as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you sure had a great week of reading! Mud Lilies sounds intense, but interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mud Lillies sounds intense. I hope you enjoy it. Your other reading looks good too. Hope you have another good week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have holidays in 3 weeks time and definitely plan to read just as much as you have lately.

    Have a good week Harvee.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing, I need to check some of these.
    https://wordsandpeace.com/2022/06/05/sunday-post-59-6-5-2022/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mud Lilies sounds like an intense read. I hope you have plenty of great weather for reading outdoors. I did that one day last week and have to say the scent of lilacs enhanced my experience! Have a great week.
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a pot of flowering jasmine and it sometimes sends perfume my way, lol

      Delete
  18. Mud Lilies sounds good! I love that cover, too. Here are my WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  19. Family Chao sounds like a good read to me. I have it on my wishlist

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Magic, High Fantasy, Historical Fiction: the Poppy War Trilogy

  Mailbox Another book came in the mail, thanks to Wiley Saickek Publicity. A Fondness for Truth: A Linder and  Donatellli Mystery   by Swis...