Sep 29, 2022

Well, That Was Unexpected by Jesse Q. Sutanto, Book Review

      

Well, That Was Unexpected

by 

September 27, 2022, Delacorte Press

Genre: YA romance, rom com, multicultural

My goodreads/NetGalley review:

The author describes the book as a "love letter to Indonesia," the country of her birth and current residence. This is a YA romance novel, with an Indonesian-American teen meeting family in Indonesia for the first time, and falling for a handsome young Chinese-Indonesian from a wealthy family.


I like that the two teens discover feelings and attitudes in common which are too modern for their traditional Chinese=Indo families. I also learned a lot about Indonesian culture, cities, geography, and food from following young Sharlot as she discovers her mother's homeland and is shown around by her new friend, George Clooney Tanuwijaya.

This indeed a love letter to Indonesia, and I came away with a new appreciation for its food, its cities, and a new understanding of its traditions. The budding romance between Sharlot and George is a plus to this YA novel, with its ups and downs along the way to their full understanding of each other.


17 comments:

  1. Gotta love that Indonesian setting! I've been to Bali and totally loved the people and culture and beauty of that particular island. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy reading about other cultures and the fact this is also a rom-com makes me want to read it! Thanks for sharing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A love letter to Indonesia sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I want to visit and taste the foods!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a wonderful read, I love any books that leave you with a new appreciation for other countries.

    Ash @ Essentially Ash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of the fun in reading is getting to know new places, I agree.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful review - this sounds great for when you want a "warm hug" read. I don't know a lot about Indonesia so reading a book written by someone living in the country always appeals to me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned a lot about the country from this rom com

      Delete
  7. I don't think I've come across a book featuring Chinese-Indo characters and Indonesia as a setting so this sounds like a refreshing read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good read and armchair travel for me

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Three Novels: Japanese Mystery; Family Drama; Ecuadorian

  Books in the mail The Night of Baba Yaga  by Akira Otani (translated from the Japanese). July 2, 2024, Soho Crime This is an unusual novel...