Nov 26, 2022

Sunday Salon: Crime Fiction, Romance, Thriller

 Read and reviewed: 


A Death in Tokyo

(Kyoichiro Kaga #9)

by 
Tokyo Police Detective Kaga is faced with a very public murder that doesn't quite add up, a prime suspect unable to defend himself, and pressure from the highest levels for a quick solution.

My goodreads review: 

I enjoy this series a lot, having read several of the nine books.
It's a police procedural which follows the Tokyo detectives who refuse to take the obvious choice and easy solution to a murder. They follow their gut feelings to find the truth and the real story behind the mysterious stabbing death of a father on a lonely bridge.

The methods of inquiry, the follow up interviewing and persistence of the detectives makes this story very interesting throughout the novel. What they discover is equally fascinating and unexpected.

Read and reviewed: 
 

The Paris Soulmate

A woman with autoimmune disorders and a "no dating policy." A mysterious, cocky British stranger. A dream trip to Paris. What could go wrong?

Reviewed:  


The Daughter-in-Law

Published November 4th 2022 by Bookouture
Genre: thriller, suspense, family drama

The mother in law is less than thrilled to have her son's sudden marriage sprung as a surprise to the family. The new daughter-in-law is from far away Australia and has now moved with her husband to live with his family in small town England. 

I'm waiting to find out about all the family secrets and the daughter-in-law's secrets as well. That's what the audio promises from this thriller!

Updated review: I enjoyed the story and the complex characters, well developed and realistic. The plot twist was a big surprise, and also the twist at the very end of the book. The novel was well written, and the audio narrator was excellent, keeping my interest in the personalities and the story throughout.

What are you reading this week? 
Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso,  It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the ShelvesMailbox Monday

48 comments:

  1. My eyes light up immediately when I see the word Paris in a title, and The Paris Soulmate sounds like a book I'd enjoy. I'm adding it to my list of books to look for during the next Paris in July celebration.

    And I don't write about it as much on my blog, but I do love a setting in Japan, too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to A Death in Tokyo! I like that series too.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went right to Amazon to buy A death in Tokyo and then saw it's not out til the 13th. THEN I saw it's a book three and Malice (book one) I've seen good things about on Emma's blog Words and Peace! So now I'm buying Malice. lol

    And Shalini Boland catches my eye because I liked her book the Girl from the Sea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gave Malice 5 stars

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you enjoy all of these. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. It's interesting so far on the audio version.

      Delete
  7. I have several by Higashino on my TBR - figured I need to start with Malice. Maybe 2023? And the Daughter in Law seems like it has possibilities for all sorts of trouble! Thanks for the visit.....
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the look of The Paris Soulmate, I love books set in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was attracted to the location of the story, too.

      Delete
  9. A good few books there!

    Have a good weekend.

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/11/27/sunday-salon-31/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the look of The Daughter-in-Law. I'm also curious about The Paris Soulmate. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like some great escapes! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Paris Soulmate sounds particularly interesting to me. Have a wonderful week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've enjoyed Shalini Boland before. I have to watch those psychological dramas because sometimes they are too ambiguous for me.

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully this one will be more straightforward.

      Delete
  14. These books all sound really good. The Paris Soulmate really grabbed my attention. I'll have to check it out. Have a great week and enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A Death in Tokyo sounds like my kind of read. I do enjoy a good police procedural.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah Tokyo would be great place to visit -- so this crime novel sounds good! I have never been to Tokyo but have been to Paris a few times ....

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Paris Soulmate is the one I want to read. It sounds like fun. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting, especially taking place in Paris.

      Delete
  18. All of these sounds great. Love the cover on The Paris Soulmate. Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These reads sure look and sound fun.
    Have a great week and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The thriller appeals to me!
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm glad you liked A Death in Tokyo. That sounds good to me. The others look good too. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Japanese police procedural series is excellent.

      Delete
  22. The reads sound awesome! Hope you'll have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I also got your first title, but haven't even started it yet, though I so enjoy Higashino

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Paris Soulmate sounds like one I would enjoy. So glad you shared it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can't remember when I last read a book by Keigo Higashino. A reminder that I need to read some of them after reading your review.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...