Dec 18, 2022

Sunday Salon: Argentina Wins the World Cup

 Watched the final World Cup game between France and Argentina. It was called the best game in World Cup history. Both sides fought hard, and it was a bitter defeat for France. 


  Lionel Messi and the Argentina team win the World Cup trophy.                                         


On the reading front, I finished two Icelandic thrillers and started a third.


by 


About: When a deadly snowstorm strikes the Icelandic highlands, four friends seek shelter in a small, abandoned hunting lodge.


Four friends. One night. Not everyone will come out alive . . .



Cold as Hell

(An Áróra Investigation #1)

About: Icelandic sisters Áróra and Ísafold live in different countries and aren't on speaking terms, but when their mother loses contact with Ísafold, Áróra reluctantly returns to Iceland to find her sister. But she soon realizes that her sister isn't avoiding her … she has disappeared, without a trace.
 

Started: 


The Darkness

(Hidden Iceland #1)

by 

About:  The body of a young Russian woman washes up on an Icelandic shore. The death is declared a suicide and the case is quietly closed.

Over a year later Detective Inspector Hulda Hermannsdóttir of the Reykjavík police is forced into early retirement at 64. But before she leaves she is given two weeks to solve a single cold case of her choice - the mystery of the Russian woman.
 
Comments: These two Icelandic authors write straight forward thrillers, with not too many side stories or side characters, and are refreshing to read, from that point of view. 
They also leave room for a follow up to the novels, by leaving something or someone in the novels with unfinished business. 

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso,  It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the ShelvesMailbox Monday

28 comments:

  1. I didn't watch any of the World Cup Games . Soccer is not one of the few sports I "watch." I use the term loosely since I usually have the sound on while I'm doing something else, and I don't really pay attention to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you get into it, it’s fun and exciting if the teams are good players. Argentina has the fanciest footwork I’ve ever seen.

      Delete
  2. As the mother of three goalkeepers I find shootouts excruciating but exciting. My husband watched the entire match but called me in for the end (I was reading, LOL).
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fantastic final game as they both fought hard snd long.

      Delete
  3. I didn't really watch the World Cup; only watched a few matches here and there.
    Those books sound intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in an Icelandic thriller mood right now.

      Delete
  4. I'm very excited for Argentina! I didn't watch the game, but I'm glad they won

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't see any of the World Cup. I try to watch my favorite American Football team but missed their game this week when they played on Saturday instead of the usual Sunday. I'm sorry I missed it because it was a record setting game. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Record setting games in soccer and American football, yay!

      Delete
  6. I like Ragnar Jonasson! Both of those books are high on my TBR list. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found him in an anthology of first chapters and was hooked.

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad you enjoyed the big soccer game! Congrats to Argentina.

    This is an excellent time of year to read Icelandic books. I love the Icelandic tradition of Jólabókaflóðið. I've often tried to talk my family into celebrating it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy Icelandic stories as well - I have a Jonasson on my TBR and will add these. We visited Reykjavik a few years ago and loved Iceland's rugged landscape. I'll look forward to these stories!
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
    https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/sunday-post-29

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What fun. I only saw Reykjavik from the plane on a stopover on the way to Europe.

      Delete
  9. I missed the game but wanted to see it. I might still try to catch it if I can, I know Tubi TV was showing the games after they aired on Fox or whoever had the rights. I might be able to track it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to see it. That final game was outstanding!

      Delete
  10. I don’t watch sports but I know my youngest son was excited about the game.
    Enjoy your thrillers!

    Wishing you a great reading week, and a happy holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up with soccer friends so got into the sport from early on.

      Delete
  11. I didn't watch any of the World Cup games.

    Your books sound good. Enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did not get to watch the game but heard it was exciting. Those Icelandic books look interesting. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes I watched the entire World Cup final. The 2nd half was much better & so exciting. I was cheering for France but I'm glad too that Argentina won -- they put their hearts into it and their country is exhilarated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very good game. Kylian looked so sad but he's only 21, with many World Cup games ahead.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Magic, High Fantasy, Historical Fiction: the Poppy War Trilogy

  Mailbox Another book came in the mail, thanks to Wiley Saickek Publicity. A Fondness for Truth: A Linder and  Donatellli Mystery   by Swis...