Jul 11, 2009

Book Review: Man Overboard by Sandy Mason

Man Overboard
I liked the mystery plot about a missing boater, and liked the main character Johnny even more in Man Overboard: A Johnny Donohue Adventure, the second novel in the mystery series by Sandy Mason.

I guess you could label this a character-driven novel. Johnny is witty, down to earth, and just a little bit vain about his appearance. He also tells us a lot about life on the Gulf of Florida. Johnny lives on his boat in a marina on the west coast of Florida. While piloting a sailboat for a client from Sarasota to his marina, he and his crew come across an abandoned sailboat way offshore. The boat is empty and the owner of the boat, Tom McNeil, is missing.

Johnny is determined to find out if Tom has been kidnapped by a drug dealers, has run off, or has drowned in an accident. He meets a reporter covering the case, Maria, and together with an ex-cop and friend Lonnie they try to figure out Tom's disappearance.

Comments
Amiable, chatty, with a humorous outlook on life, Johnny introduces us to his world of sailboats, races, the sailing community, the west coast of Florida, and the pleasures of living fulltime on a boat. We also find out about why he left the corporate world in New York City and headed south for a more laid-back lifestyle.

"Once inside, Terra Ceia (Bay)is a miniature tropical paradise. A boat is well protected from winds in almost every direction. There are no stores or marinas or restaurants. It is just a quite piece of heaven and a wonderful place to be with friends." (p. 136)

As a subplot, Johnny helps his father reveal a secret kept hidden for fifty years. In the end, the would-be sleuth Johnny gets into the action by helping the police nab the culprits, while also winning the affections of the fetching Maria. I gave this very enjoyable book, a good read for summer, 4 out of 5 stars, on Goodreads.

Book provided by the author, for my objective review.

Bookmark and Share

7 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I also reviewed this book. (http://thereadingjourney.blogspot.com/2009/07/review-man-overboard.html)

    It did have a very summer time feel to it didn't it. Have you read the first Sandy Mason book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jemima: Thanks for visiting. No I haven't read the first book but I hope to. What I look for in a mystery is to be entertained by a good, puzzling story and to get new information, if I can. In this case, I learned more about the west coast of Florida and about sailing and living on a boat fulltime.

    I have a hard time getting into more serious books in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this author but I love good summer themed books to read during the summer and this one sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 4 out of 5, now that sounds good. I haven't heard about this author before so I am going to go goggle a little :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "OBama's Blackberry" is most definitely fiction. Will come back later to read your last review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great review! I love Florida, St. Pete, Pensacola and Daytona. I haven't been back in a long time. This book would be a feel good book for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://whodunnit-tea.blogspot.com

    sorry.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Three Novels: Japanese Mystery; Family Drama; Ecuadorian

  Books in the mail The Night of Baba Yaga  by Akira Otani (translated from the Japanese). July 2, 2024, Soho Crime This is an unusual novel...