Apr 5, 2011

Book Review: Call Me Irresistible by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Teaser Tuesdays asks you to choose two sentences at random from your current read. Identify the author and title for readers.
"Lucy isn't as happy as she should be.  She has some doubts."

"Rubbish!" Ted's mother exclaimed. "She had no doubts. Not until you manufactured them for her." (p. 25)


Call Me Irresistible: A Novel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Comments: I had some doubts about the main character, Meg Koranda, who had some reservations about her best friend's fiance, Ted Beaudine. Meg convinced Lucy Jorik that Lucy had made the wrong choice in a husband and helped her back out of the wedding. Was this self serving and did Meg have her eye on the bridegroom for herself?  Both Meg and Lucy are children of high profile parents. The sudden canceling of the wedding on the wedding day was a scandal. At the end of the book, I still couldn't decide if Meg knew all along what she wanted, or if things happened by chance in this interesting romance. By all means read it and let us know what you think!

Publisher's description: "Lucy Jorik is the daughter of a former president of the United States.
Meg Koranda is the offspring of legends.

One of them is about to marry Mr. Irresistible—Ted Beaudine—the favorite son of Wynette, Texas. The other is not happy about it and is determined to save her friend from a mess of heartache.

But even though Meg knows that breaking up her best friend's wedding is the right thing to do, no one else seems to agree. Faster than Lucy can say "I don't," Meg becomes the most hated woman in town—a town she's stuck in with a dead car, an empty wallet, and a very angry bridegroom. Broke, stranded, and without her famous parents at her back, Meg is sure she can survive on her own wits. What's the worst that can happen? Lose her heart to the one and only Mr. Irresistible? Not likely. Not likely at all."
 
Hardcover: 400 pages. Publisher: William Morrow (January 18, 2011). Source: Publisher. Genre: romantic fiction. Objective rating: 3.75/5.

11 comments:

  1. I used to love this author. I probably still do. I just haven't had time to read anything by her recently. This sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. some one Teased me this book last tuesday, I love the sound of it,

    The book Mystress, xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I have this one on my tbr pile. Can't wait to read it.
    Sally.
    Here's mine:
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is on my wishlist but I'm waiting for the paperback. My teasers are from The Demon Kiss by Lacey Weatherford and Breaking the Rules by Suzanne Brockmann. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had my eye on this one...it looks "irresistible," LOL.

    I have another book by this author, which reminds me to move it up on the stack.

    Here's MY TT POST

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one sounds like a fun read, although not really my cuppa. Love the teaser!

    My TT: The Book of Lost Things

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the teaser, but I don't know if I like that Meg may or may not have manipulated her best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great teaser and sounds like one that will leave you with questions as to motives!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked this one, but I love all of her books. I don't think Meg planned to end up with Ted, but it was hard to swallow at first.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the first book I've read by SEP and I really enjoyed it. I realize a lot of the characters are from other books, but I didn't feel like I had missed something by not reading them first. My only complaints are I felt like there were too many characters...it was hard to keep them all straight. I also wish we could have seen Meg get a little more revenge against all the people who treated her so poorly through the book. I also think the publishers should take a hard look at the prices they are setting for nookbooks. It's absurd that an e-book costs more than a printed paperback version.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Three Novels: Japanese Mystery; Family Drama; Ecuadorian

  Books in the mail The Night of Baba Yaga  by Akira Otani (translated from the Japanese). July 2, 2024, Soho Crime This is an unusual novel...