Sep 11, 2011

Sunday Salon: The Dog Books of Summer

The Sunday Salon.comWelcome to the Sunday Salon. Click on the logo to join in.

My mother passed away last year. Today would have been her 97th birthday. I remember ten years ago that I forgot to call her to wish her a Happy Birthday. I'm sure she forgave me.

The past few days I've been enjoying the sunny days after last week's steady rain, doing some light gardening, picking Big Brother tomatoes from the one sprawling vine, deadheading roses, pulling up a few weeds here and there, and thinking of removing lilies from around the peony bush and replanting them around the skeleton of my now dead Shishigashera Japanese maple tree. I had planted the decorative maple in a shallow depression in the back yard, where it got too much water around the roots. It lasted over 10 years and had gotten as tall as six feet. I miss it, with it's curly leaves that made it look like a lion's mane. That's its common name - Lion Head's Maple. Maybe one day I'll get another.

Last week, I featured an historical thriller, The Devil Colony by James Rollins, reviewed three novels of suspense and a dog lover's mystery:
The Lantern by Deborah Lawrenson
The Perfect Suspect by Margaret Coel
The Silent Girl by Tess Gerritsen and
Brute Strength: A Dog Lover's Mystery by Susan Conant.


At present I'm enjoying two more books on dogs -

The Dog Who Knew Too Much by Spencer Quinn,
Nose Down, Eyes Up: A Novel by Merrill Markoe.
Following Atticus by Tom Ryan is next on the list.

All these dog books make me long for another dog! (We lost our wonderful and irreplaceable bichon frise Harvey in 2008.)

What have you been doing/reading during these last days of summer?

5 comments:

  1. Your post has a lovely Sunday feeling to it...I can't explain why, but I enjoyed it. You have reminded me of how terrible I have been to my own garden--need to water more! Also, I love dogs, but I don't read many books related to them (I am still pained by Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows). Can you recommend a book that features a dog-maybe your favorite?

    Here is my Sunday Salon Post: Adventures in Borkdom

    I hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy: I have left some suggestions on your Sunday Salon post for dog themed books.

    I recommended Following Atticus: Forth-eight High Peaks, One Little Dog and an Extraordinary Friendship by Tom Ryan, though I have not yet read it. The topic though is something I do like - adventures with a companion dog.

    Best regards,
    Harvee

    ReplyDelete
  3. We lost our Border Terrier in 2007 and it was two years before we felt ready to get another dog. We now have Alfie,another Border. Alf came to us as a rescue dog and has made the house come alive again with a regular playful bark and toys everywhere! Borders are typically small dogs, but they make up for their lack of size in personality!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anglers Rest: I've heard about the penetrating and perceptive gaze of Border Collies and would love to own one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dog books sound interesting!! That's too bad about your tree. We had a HUGE tree in the corner of our property and it died two years ago. When my husband cut it down we both had tears in our eyes!!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Three Novels: Japanese Mystery; Family Drama; Ecuadorian

  Books in the mail The Night of Baba Yaga  by Akira Otani (translated from the Japanese). July 2, 2024, Soho Crime This is an unusual novel...