Jan 10, 2012

Shortlist for the Man Asian Literary Prize 2011

The Man Asian Literary Prize  for 2011 has increased its short list from five to seven books.


Dream of Ding Village

2011 Shortlist

JAMIL AHMAD, Pakistan - The Wandering Falcon (Penguin India/Hamish Hamilton)

JAHNAVI BARUA, India - Rebirth (Penguin India/Penguin Books)

RAHUL BHATTACHARYA, India - The Sly Company of People Who Care (Pan Macmillan/Pan Macmillan India/Picador)

AMITAV GHOSH, India - River of Smoke (John Murray/Penguin India/Hamish Hamilton)

KYUNG-SOOK SHIN, South Korea -  Please Look After Mom (Alfred A. Knopf)

YAN LIANKE, China - Dream of Ding Village (Grove Atlantic)

BANANA YOSHIMOTO, Japan - The Lake (Melville House)


Please Look After Mom
I've reviewed Please Look After Mom by Kyung-Sook Shin, and was intensely moved by this very sad but revealing story from South Korea.

I've also listened to most of the audio of River of Smoke by Amitav Ghosh, and was fascinated by the historical fiction account of the Opium War and British and Indian involvement.

All of the other books are on my wish list for my several reading challenges.

7 comments:

  1. A few of these books are on my list, and I also read and reviewed Please Look After Mom. It really was a great read, wasn't it? Thanks for getting the word out about this shortlist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We read "Please Look after Mom" in our Book Club in October. Very sad and disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read The Lake and River of Smoke. Thank you for the list as I would like to try to find some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of these. I'll have to check them out further.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Dream of Ding Village...it was my favorite book of the year in 2011. I'll be getting to all of these books here shortly. Thanks for the post -- I've been really, really busy so missed the announcement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have one of these books, The Lake, so I am hoping to read that one this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of any of these but I have The Lake, one of Yoshimoto's earlier works on my Kindle, which I continue to dip into but haven't finished yet.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...