Aug 27, 2012

The Midwife of Hope River by Patricia Harman

Title: The Midwife of Hope River: A Novel of an American Midwife
Publication date: August 28, 2012; paperback
Genre: historical fiction
 Opening sentences: Stillbirth. "How long do you think my baby's been dead?" Katherine turns toward me, and I can tell she's still crying.
"Five days, maybe less," I answer my patient. "I heard the heartbeat when I checked you last Friday, and you said the baby moved during church. Shut your eyes now. Try. You need to rest."
I place my new leather-bound journal on the maple table, lean my head back, and gaze cross the dark room
. (this quote is from an ARC; the final edition may differ).
In 1930s Appalachia, midwife Patience Murphy strugges against disease, poverty, and prejudice - and her own haunting past - to bring new light, and life, into an otherwise cruel world. (from publisher's description).

8 comments:

  1. I am in the midst of reading this one right now, and I just love the author. If you get a chance, pick up Arms Wide Open. It's a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not that sad. You've got to keep reading. I'm telling you, it gets better...maybe the baby isn't dead! Maybe it lives! I'm not saying anymore.
    The whole first chapter is on my website. www.patriciaharman.com

    Patricia Harman, author :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not that sad. You've got
    to keep reading.
    I'm telling you, it gets better...
    maybe the baby isn't dead!
    Maybe it lives!
    I'm not saying anymore.
    The whole first chapter is on
    www.patriciaharman.com

    Patricia Harman, author :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am seriously intrigued by this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No way I could read this one.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Voices of the Old and the New: Corky Lee and Julia Alvarez

  NEW RELEASES Corky Lee's Asian America Fifty Years of Photographic Justice by  Corky Lee Publication April 9, 2024; Clarkson Potter/Te...