Apr 22, 2014

First Chapter: The Whole Cat and Caboodle by Sofie Ryan

First Chapter, First Paragraph is a weekly meme hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea.
Teaser Tuesday is hosted by Miz B; choose two teaser sentences from a random page of your current read.


Title: The Whole Cat and Caboodle: Second Chance Cat Mystery #1 by Sofie Ryan
Published April 1, 2014; Signet
Genre: cozy mystery

First chapter:
Elvis was sitting in the middle of my desk when I opened the door. The cat, not the King of Rock and Roll, although the cat had an air of entitlement about him sometimes, as though he thought he was royalty. He had one jet-black paw on top of a small cardboard box - my new business cards, I was hoping.
"How did you get in here?" I asked. 
Book description:
Sarah Grayson is the happy proprietor of Second Chance, a charming shop in the oceanfront town of North Harbor, Maine. At the shop, she sells used items that she has lovingly refurbished and repurposed. But her favorite pet project so far has been adopting a stray cat she names Elvis. Elvis has seen nine lives—and then some. The big black cat with a scar across his nose turned up at a local bar when the band was playing the King of Rock and Roll’s music and hopped in Sarah’s truck. Since then, he’s been her constant companion and the furry favorite of everyone who comes into the store.

 But when Sarah’s elderly friend Maddie is found with the body of a dead man in her garden, the kindly old lady becomes the prime suspect in the murder. Even Sarah’s old high school flame, investigator Nick Elliot, seems convinced that Maddie was up to no good. So it’s up to Sarah and Elvis to clear her friend’s name and make sure the real murderer doesn’t get a second chance. (goodreads)

What do you think? Would you keep reading? I would, as long as Elvis was not a talking cat!

17 comments:

  1. I like the title and the colorful cover. The book sounds like an enjoyable read. I would keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A cozy is just what I need after Defending Jacob! I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love the sound of this one...the setting and the cat named Elvis. We once had a cat named Cleopatra, for some of the same reasons (she thought she was royalty, too!).

    Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “THE DEEPEST SECRET”

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a fun read. I love mysteries, and there's always time for a cozy featuring a cat. I would continue reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elvis- great name for a cat! I've seen this one around and it looks cute- and the Maine setting doesn't hurt. Looks like a great cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a sucker for cat cozies and I purchased this one last week, although I haven't had the chance to start reading it yet.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, me too, I love the name Elvis for a cat and this sound like a lovely story with a bit of mystery in there, so I would continue definitely.
    My post is here

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanna read this! Love love cozies!!

    Here is my teaser post!

    AND

    Here is my Intro post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds fun but I'm not into cozy mysteries so I'd probably pass. enjoy your book. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds a fun cosy read, I want to try reading more of these. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the idea of cat cozies (and even mention them in today's post). This one sounds like a clever cozy, and the cover is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a delightful cozy. Great description of the cat's personality in your Teaser.
    My Teaser is from LOVING CHLOE.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like it. Have you noticed how so many cozies have cats in them?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Though I am not sure if I would read this, my wife loves these cat themed mysterious. I will recommend this one to her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Elvis the cat sounds cute, I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...