Aug 21, 2014

Book Review: The Story Hour by Thrity Umrigar

The Story Hour
Title: The Story Hour by Thrity Umrigar
Published August 19, 2014; Harper
Genre: fiction, women's fiction
Objective rating: 4.5/5

The power of stories to heal and connect. That seems to be part of the message of this novel by Umrigar, with its intriguing characters and storyline.

Two very different women are brought together by fate and circumstance - the unhappily married immigrant to the U.S., Lakshmi, who is healed by and in turn helps to heal her psychologist and friend, African-American Maggie, by telling Maggie stories of her life growing up in India. Both women are married to Indian men, have sad memories of mothers who died when they were younger, and both women harbor secrets from their past that hamper their lives in the present.

These two are fully developed characters and their interaction, not always a smooth one, brings the novel to life in a vivid and affecting way. Don't miss reading this book if you get the chance.
Book description: An experienced psychologist, Maggie carefully maintains emotional distance from her patients. But when she meets a young Indian woman who tried to kill herself, her professional detachment disintegrates. Cut off from her family in India, Lakshmi is desperately lonely and trapped in a loveless marriage to a domineering man...  
Moved by her plight, Maggie treats Lakshmi in her home office for free, quickly realizing that the despondent woman doesn't need a shrink; she needs a friend....When Maggie and Lakshmi share long-buried secrets, the revelations jeopardize their close bond and force them to confront painful choices. (publisher)
I received a proof/galley of this book for review. 

8 comments:

  1. This sounds like a reasonably good book! It kind of reminds me of a Thousand Splendid Suns, but seeing as I loved that, if it isn't too similar I might be able to enjoy it as well! I will keep my eye out for it ;)

    Check out my review and giveaway: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/08/legacy-glow-book-review-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not too similar, Olivia, as the two women are from different cultural backgrounds and ethnicities. And the setting is the U.S. Hope you enjoy it if you get a chance to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually like the idea that a character in a book breaks the rules ion terms of the patient/doctor relationship. Such things help make good fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a book I'd love. Thanks, Harvee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your review Harvee. This sounds like a wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad u had a chance to read and enjoy this one as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't sure if I wanted to read this but your review made it clear to me so I am really interested in it now.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen this one around and it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...