Jul 31, 2015

Book Beginning: Rainy Day Sisters by Kate Hewitt

The Friday 56: *Grab a book, turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader. Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you. Post it. Add your (url) post in Linky at Freda's Voice.
Also, visit Book Beginning at Rose City Reader
Rainy Day Sisters: A Hartley-by-the-Sea Novel by Kate Hewitt, to be released August 4, 2015 by NAL
"Welcome to Hartley-by-the-Sea in England’s beautiful Lake District, where two sisters who meet as strangers find small miracles tucked into the corners of every day...."

Book beginning:
Lucy Bagshaw's half sister, Juliet, had warned her about the weather. "When the sun is shining, it's lovely, but otherwise it's wet, windy, and cold," she'd stated in her stern, matter-of-fact way. "Be warned."Lucy had shrugged off the warning because she'd rather live anywhere, even the Antarctic, than stay in Boston for another second. In any case she'd thought she was used to all three. She'd lived in England for the first six years of her life, and it wasn't as if Boston were the south of France. Except in comparison with the Lake District, it seemed it was. 
Page 56:
She'd just tried to erase all signs of her presence in Juliet's house. Because Juliet didn't want her here.
It hadn't been her imagination; her half sister actually did resent her. 
Book description: "When Lucy Bagshaw’s life in Boston falls apart, she accepts her half sister Juliet’s invitation to stay with her in a seaside village in northern England. Lucy... finds that her sister is an aloof host, the weather is wet, windy, and cold, and her new boss, Alex Kincaid, only hired her as a favor to Juliet....With the help of quirky villagers, these hesitant rainy day sisters begin to forge a new understanding…" (goodreads)

A new novel set in England's Lake District. 

15 comments:

  1. The beginning seems to jump right into the character's thoughts and feelings. I do like a book to start off a little slower.

    With that the situation sound interesting, thus I think that I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wet, windy weather does tend to put things into a new perspective. I wonder what happened in Boston.

    My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting. I hope you are enjoying it. This week I am spotlighting Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Mary Wingate - a cozy mystery. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds very good, and I like the setting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got this and can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't heard of this, but it sounds like it's definitely my thing. I'll have to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like I could enjoy it. Happy Friday!
    Here is my Friday 56:
    http://missdothacker.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-spiritglass-charade.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, the "aloof host" aspect sounds like it will make for good reading...but uncomfortable to experience in life. You had me at the settings, from Boston to England.

    Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “AT RISK”

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just added this book to my TBR. It sounds like my kind of book! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like the kind of book I adore, especially with "quirky villagers" thrown in! I'll read this one.

    My Friday post features The Reluctant Midwife.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the sound of this one and I love that cover!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Harvee,

    This sounds enticing. I hope it is as good as it sounds!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Half-sisters often do have resentment. I know. I have 4.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is on my wish list. I think I'm going to have to grab it now that you've reminded me. Just look at that cover too. So sweet:)

    Here's my 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/07/31/the-friday-56-71-night-and-day/

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...