Jul 10, 2015

DARING MY PASSAGES: A MEMOIR: by Gail Sheehy, Book Beginnings

The Friday 56: *Grab a book, turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader. Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you. Post it. Add your (url) post in Linky at Freda's Voice.
Also, visit Book Beginning at Rose City Reader.

Daring My Passages: A Memoir by Gail Sheehy, published June 23, 2015 by William Morrow
Chapter 1 
Do I Dare?
It felt like the longest walk of my life. Sneaking down the back stairs from the flamingo-pink precinct of the Women's Department on the fourth floor of New York's Herald Tribune to march across the DMZ into the all-male preserve of the city room. I was on a mission. I just had to pitch a story to the man who was remaking journalism. I could get fired for this. 
Page 56: 
I wore beatnik sandals and occasionally love beads, and I treasured the album Rolling Stones: Now. But with a four-year-old child, I was too responisible to spend any time being stoned.  
Book description:
Gail Sheehy became one of the premier practitioners of New Journalism at the fledgling New York magazine, along with such stellar writers as Tom Wolfe, Gloria Steinem, and Jimmy Breslin. 

Daring: My Passages is also the love story of Sheehy's tempestuous romance with Clay Felker, the charismatic creator of New York magazine and the mentor who inspired her to become a fearless journalist who won renown for her penetrating character portraits of world leaders.

Sheehy reflects on desire, ambition, and wanting it all—career, love, children, friends, social significance... and her ongoing passion for life, work, and love. (publisher)

Thanks to the publisher for a review/feature copy of this book. I am interested in her experiences in journalism, having worked, besides teaching, at a local newspaper. 

10 comments:

  1. This sounds like a memoir I could get along with. I love the beginning.
    Cora @ Tea Party Princess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have her book Passages on my shelves, so I am eager to read this one! I love stories about women who forged ahead to achieve their dreams. Thanks for sharing.

    Here's mine: “THE PERFECT SON”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that she had the guts to do what she wanted!

    I like the 56~ I'm a hippie at heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like an excellent and inspiring memoir!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew the name Sheehy but couldn't remember why. Sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm fascinated already! Sounds like a great read!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a lot of drama. Could be interesting:)
    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/07/10/the-friday-56-68-for-nick-by-taylor-dean/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that Gail Sheehy's memoir is well worth reading. I have not read any other books by Sheehy but some of her other works look look to be worthwhile also.

    As I am interested in US politics her influence and name is familiar to me as someone who has influenced the process.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just from the excerpts, this sounds like an interesting memoir. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed this and hope that more people -- esp. women - read it! She's so inspiring! Linking up my review if it interests you: http://guiltlessreading.blogspot.ca/2014/09/daring-my-passages-by-gail-sheehy.html

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...