Jul 28, 2015

First Chapter: THE MOUNTAIN STORY by Lori Lansens

First Chapter, First Paragraph is hosted weekly by Bibliophile by the Sea. Share the first paragraph of your current read. Also visit Teaser Tuesdays meme hosted by Jenn.


The Mountain Story: A Novel by Lori Lansens, published June 30, 2015 by Simon and Schuster.
Genre: fiction

First paragraph, first chapter:
Dear Daniel,  A person has to have lived a little to appreciate a survival story. That's what I've always said, and I promised that when you were old enough, I'd tell you mine. It's no tale for a child, but you're not a child anymore. You're older now than I was when I got lost in the mountain wilderness.
Five days in the freeing cold without food or water or shelter. You know that part, and you know that I was with three strangers and that not everyone survived. What happened up there changed my life, Danny. Hearing the story is going to change yours. 
Teaser, page 118:
..."It wasn't a helicopter. You heard Wolf. It was the wind."
Five days. Four hikers. Three survivors. From Lori Lansens comes a gripping tale of adventure, sacrifice and survival in the unforgiving wilderness of a legendary mountain. 

On his 18th birthday, Wolf Truly takes the tramway to the top of the mountain that looms over Palm Springs, intending to jump to his death. Instead he encounters strangers wandering in the mountain wilderness, three women who will change the course of his life. Through a series of missteps he and the women wind up stranded, in view of the city below, but without a way down. They endure five days in freezing temperatures without food or water or shelter, and somehow find the courage to carry on.

Wolf, now a grown man, has never told his son, or anyone, what happened on the mountain during those five days, but he can't put it off any longer. And in telling the story to his only child, Daniel, he at last explores the nature of the ties that bind and the sacrifices people will make for love. The mountain still has a hold on Wolf, composed of equal parts beauty and terror. (book description from good reads)

Based on the beginning, the teaser, and the book details, would you read on? 

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like an intriguing story. I'm definitely curious about what happened on the mountain, especially since the hikers were women. I can't imagine how devastating it must have been to be stranded in full sight of civilization.
    My Tuesday post features a classic: OF HUMAN BONDAGE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like it would be very interesting. I am definitely intrigued. I wonder what happened. I was surprised when I saw mention of the location of the mountain. That's close to me! Makes it even more tempting to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This promises to be an interesting story. Hope it lives up to that promise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw something about this one several weeks ago and thought it sounded very, very interesting. Glad to get to hear the beginning of the book. It seems odd that people could be that cold and be able to see Palm Springs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh - this one sounds GOOD! I'd definitely keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some wind!

    mine: https://storytreasury.wordpress.com/2015/07/27/teaser-tuesday-leviathan-wakes/

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, I read this one and reviewed it previously. I thought it was pretty good. Hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would keep reading, it sounds like an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Harvee,

    Definitely enough intrigue there to keep me reading on!

    I though the name of Lori Lansens sounded familiar and in fact I discovered that I have read her book 'The Girls', which was excellent.

    I have just never transferred this book to my Goodreads account for some reason, so I aim to put that right, now that you have brought it to my attention :)

    'The Mountain Story' is definitely also going on my list ... Thanks for sharing.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  10. You'll note that all area gives new and revealing information.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...