Jul 18, 2015

Sunday Salon: Female Photographers in WWII

Welcome to the Sunday Salon where bloggers share their reading each week. Visit The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated Bookreviewer. Also visit Mailbox Monday

I am excited to have two historical novels about female photographers who made their mark taking photos of the aftermath of WWII.

 The Race for Paris by Meg Waite Clayton is based on the life of real women who photographed aspects of WWII. The other is:


The Woman in the Photograph by Dana Gynther, a novel based on the real life photographer, Lee Miller, who captured startling images from WWII. It is to be released August 4, 2015 by Gallery Books.
The Woman in the Photograph is the richly drawn, tempestuous novel about a talented and fearless young woman caught up in one of the most fascinating times of the twentieth century. (publisher)

I also have an ARE of Gregory Maguire's After Alice, to be published October 27 by William Morrow. 

From the author of Wicked comes a new twist on Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, published to coincide with the 150th anniversary of Lewis's Carroll's beloved classic. Gregory Maguire turns to the question of underworlds, undergrounds, underpinnings — and understandings old and new, offering an inventive spin on Carroll's enduring tale. (publisher)

I have begun to read, among other books, 
Losing Me, a novel by the English author Sue Margolis,  published July 7, 2015 by NAL.
Knocking on sixty, Barbara Stirling is too busy to find herself, while caring for her mother, husband, children, and grandchildren. But when she loses her job, everything changes. Exhausted, lonely, and unemployed, Barbara is forced to face her feelings and doubts. Then a troubled, vulnerable little boy walks into her life and changes it forever. (publisher)

Last week, I reviewed for a book tour:
The Festival of Insignificance by Milan Kundera and
Bum Rap by Paul Levine

and will post a book tour review this coming week for the historical mystery, Flask of the Drunken Master by Susan Spann. There will be a giveaway of the book. Look for it!

What's on your reading list?

16 comments:

  1. After Alice sounds interesting... It's a wonder though there aren't copyright issues etc...

    And I love the cover of Losing Me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Race for PAris sounds very interesting! What a fascinating time- and a great story as well, I'm sure. I like that it's based on real world photographers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knocking on sixty is scary - I am not looking forward to it.
    THe books on photographers sound interesting. I know my husband read one a few years ago about an Ivy League woman who talked her way into a job as a war photog in Vietnam. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never got far in to Wicked but I do like the sound of After Alice.

    Have a great week!

    Heather @ Random Redheaded Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm. After Allice sounds intriguing. I might have to put that on my wish list. I'm not doing hold lists anymore, but wish lists I'm still doing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every one of these books looks interesting to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating picks! On the subject of women photographers, have you read Eight Girls Taking Pictures yet? I loved the book: http://guiltlessreading.blogspot.ca/2012/11/eight-girls-taking-pictures-by-whitney.html

    Now After Alice really intrigues me. Prequels sequels and the kin always are an interesting proposition - they usually are great or simply bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The books about women photographers in World War II cover an interesting theme. It is a story that we rarely hear about. I look forward to reading your detailed thoughts on these books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Woman in the Photograph looks really good and I love the cover. I look forward of to your reviews of all these - especially After Alice. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of these look so good...I have the Meg Waite Clayton on my list, but now I must add The Woman in the Photograph and After Alice.

    I am going over right now to check out Losing Me.

    Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sister is a photographer. I'll share these books with her. Sound fascinating and I like reading about the era.

    My Sunday Post - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/07/19/whats-new-on-my-bookshelf-117-and-the-sunday-post/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to read The Race for Paris. The Woman in the Photograph looks really good too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you love all your new books. I've seen a lot of buzz on twitter about The Race for Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OOOO, I want that book, The Woman in the Photograph by Dana Gynther. That is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  15. All these covers are pulling me in.

    I hope they are good reads. I especially like THE WOMAN IN THE PHOTOGRAPH. Sounds mysterious.

    ENJOY all of your books and your reading week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...