May 24, 2009

Book Review: Killer Cruise by Laura Levine



In the middle of reading a long and serious book for a book discussion group, I found this light and amusing mystery novel, a really good comedy, which I read in less than a day!

In Killer Cruise, one murder is enough! But there are many possible culprits on board the cruise ship Festival, ranging from a jilted ex-fiancee, an ice sculptor, and the relatives and friends of a silver haired lady being swept off her feet by love at first dance.

Our heroine and crime solver, Jaine Austen (with an i in Jane), has some setbacks on a cruise she was expecting to be a lot of fun. She is an employee, hired to give writing lessons to cruise passengers, but only five show up. She has an unintended stowaway, her cat Prozac, who had to be sneaked on board at the last minute.

While hiding Prozac as well as reading the hefty manuscript of her cabin steward, the would be writer Samoa, in exchange for his silence about the cat on board - Jaine finds time to do some snooping to solve a murder while also indulging in her passion for midnight snacks and all things chocolate.

"I hurried along the corridor, checking over my shoulder to make sure Anton wasn't following me. Then, with the unerring accuracy of a homing pigeon, I returned to the buffet, where I picked up some roast beef for Prozac and a restorative dose of brownies for me." (p. 29)

Though this is a mystery novel, I chuckled all through the book, and laughed out loud at the ending. Humourous lines on every page. Readers who like comedy and mystery will like this one.

By the way, author Laura Levine is a comedy writer who has written for TV shows such as Three's Company, Laverne and Shirley, and The Love Boat.


Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to look for this series (the first on anyway!). What a fun review. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mysteries with a sense of humor! It makes it so much more refreshing to read than the cookie-cutter ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds good. I will have to pick this one up for my Cosy Mystery challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a fun read -- could always use more of those. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds cute. I love this type of light mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Laura's book. Jaine is too much fun.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Three Novels: Japanese Mystery; Family Drama; Ecuadorian

  Books in the mail The Night of Baba Yaga  by Akira Otani (translated from the Japanese). July 2, 2024, Soho Crime This is an unusual novel...