Jun 29, 2009

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon: a comment

I skimmed over the Los Angeles Times' review of The Angel's Game, that much touted second book by Carlos Ruiz Zafon of The Shadow of the Wind fame.

But I didn't read too closely as I want to make up my own mind about the book.

I found the setting of the first chapter familiar and contemporary - the inside of a newsroom, with a typical scenario of young wannabee writers trying to avoid jaded reporters. I decided to continue reading the book though I missed the Baroque setting and brooding atmosphere of old Barcelona in The Shadow of the Wind.

I guess that kind of atmosphere is to come, as the Devil comes by later to tempt young writer David Martin (and he doesn't even have a Spanish name!)

In any case, if you are not planning to read that thick, heavy tome, here's a substitute, a nice review by Nick Owchar, today's LA Times: The Angel's Game.

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for stopping by my blog and adding me as a Follower—sounds cult-like, doesn't it.

    I can't say for sure, but I think you'll find the same elements in this book that you found in Shadow of the Wind. I'm a fairly slow reader, but I went through Angel's Game in three sittings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlie: I'm now looking forward to continuing where I left off in the first chapter of the book. It must have been engaging for you to finish in three sittings! Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Three Novels: Japanese Mystery; Family Drama; Ecuadorian

  Books in the mail The Night of Baba Yaga  by Akira Otani (translated from the Japanese). July 2, 2024, Soho Crime This is an unusual novel...