Nov 2, 2009

Book Review: Friends Like These by Danny Wallace


Title: Friends Like These: My Worldwide Quest to Find My Best Childhood Friends, Knock on Their Doors, and Ask Them to Come Out and Play by Danny Wallace
Genre: nonfiction, memoir

Those who watch a lot of the BBC will probably like BBC documentary host and author of Yes Man, Danny Wallace, who describes his summer of searching for 12 school friends listed in the little black address book he had as a kid.

The rest of us who don't know much about him may find the quest less exciting, though Wallace travels from London to Berlin to Australia, to California, and finally to Tokyo to find his school friends. Most of the pals, however, he finds in the good old U.K.

This is nonfiction and his friends are regular, normal guys, not as funny as Jim Carrey in Yes Man.

Hachette Books provided a review copy of this book.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, how good this sounds! Thanks for pointing this out to me, Harvee, I REALLY REALLY want to check this one out.

    I'm yet to see "Yes,Man", which is now a major Warner Bros. film, starring Jim Carrey

    Sassy
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sassy: I figured the author would be well known and popular in the U.K. The movie, Yes Man, is very funny. But this book is nonfiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound like something I would be interested in reading, so I'll have to keep this in mind. And I assume you didn't hit the jackpot, since you are still posting on your blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael: did somebody win the lottery in the midwest? I forgot to buy a ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review. I think I will pass it up....the book, not your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool idea! I'm still in touch with many of my childhood friends, but it would be fun to have the time and money to go around visiting them and having time to "play"!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Three Novels: Japanese Mystery; Family Drama; Ecuadorian

  Books in the mail The Night of Baba Yaga  by Akira Otani (translated from the Japanese). July 2, 2024, Soho Crime This is an unusual novel...