Nov 1, 2009

Sunday Salon, Nov. 1




Avocado milk shake and beef noodle soup in Toronto, Canada just before Oct. 31 ended. Spent the rest of the night planning to buy four tickets for the Canadian $50million lottery and planning how to split and spend our winnings, among seven of us. This conversation was fueled by glasses of Bailey's Irish Cream and sweet wine.

Before heading for Toronto on All Hallow's Eve, I had finished three book reviews for the week:

Persian Girls by Nahid Rachlin
A Sportscaster's Guide to Watching Football by Mark Oristano
Nanny Returns by Emma McLaughlin, a new sequel to the Nanny Diaries which will be out Dec. 15.
And also an interview with mystery writer, Susan Arnout Smith, who discussed why she writes mysteries/thrillers such as her latest, Out At Night.

Books have come in from Hachette and other sources, so my TBR pile has been mounting again after I thought I had really whittled it down some.

Am now reading a library book, Breathing Water, a thriller set in Bangkok, Thailand, which is quite good and will be keeping my attention on the long ride back to the States from Canada.

Now, off for dim sum breakfast at a Chinese restaurant. I love to start a new week this way.
.

17 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good day! Dim sum breakfast...yummy!

    My salon is here:

    http://laurel-rainsnowsaccidentallife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adored Persian Girls. I will add Breathing Water to my TBR list.

    My salon is here: http://www.rundpinne.com/2009/11/november-is-here-sunday-salon.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'll be watching for your review of Nanny Returns.
    And now I have a craving for some Bailey's Irish Cream *smile*
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't even conceive of dim sum for breakfast, but I hope it was good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The food combo is scary...avocado milk shake and beef noodle soup??? LOL!! Sounds like you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very nice weekend, if you ask me. But of course, you did not.

    What would you think of a mystery set in Laos in 1976 that features a seventy-two-year-old coronor, Dr. Siri Paibon? Rather than explain, here is the Amazon page:

    The Coronor's Lunch

    Mini-review: It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laurel, Alyce: the dim sum was great! Steamed fresh shrimp encased in a paper thin rice envelope, seasoned pork steamed in a yellow pasta, braised chicken feet in soy and sugar, soft tofu cakes fried and crispy outside, soft inside, chased by cups of hot tea. Try it sometime! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary: Nanny Returns officially is available Dec. 15 but I've already done a review from the ARC. Hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jennifer: I am enjoying the crazy world of Breathing Water. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Charlie: I've read one of the Siri Paibon books and hope to read more of them. Very interesting setting and characters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Staci: I downed it all and nary a stomach upset! I think the avocado smoothie smoothed things out smoothily :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Avocado milkshake? I do love avocados but I'm not certain how this would be.

    I want to read Persian Girls. It's terribly appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a weekend! Now you have me thinking of a Bailey's...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Avocado milk shakes? Wow. It begs the question as to whether you would have chosen that particular drink option had you not already been imbibing wine and Bailey's! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for stopping by-what where you doing in TO-I did not know there is a sequel to the Nanny Diaries and Persian Girls sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beef Noodle soup sounds yummy. Not so sure of the avocado milkshake though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. avocado milk shake and beef noodles and chocolate covered peanuts and bailey's irish cream and sweet wine followed by dim sum? hmmm. i hope all this was spread out...a lot! but the books sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Three Novels: Japanese Mystery; Family Drama; Ecuadorian

  Books in the mail The Night of Baba Yaga  by Akira Otani (translated from the Japanese). July 2, 2024, Soho Crime This is an unusual novel...