Jan 12, 2012

Unplanned Library Finds: Jan. 11

I wasn't planning to go the library but to find a laundromat to finish washing wet rugs that had been sitting in my washer when it suddenly went kaput! Maybe it was my fault, I overloaded the machine with rugs and then didn't get to it fast enough when it went bonkers in the spin cycle. So what if the almost 19-year-old washer was going to go out soon anyway; I may have shortened its lifespan by six months or so, I figure.

In any case, I missed the turnoff into the plaza with the laundromat (I haven't been there in two years), and then decided it would be easier to just continue cruising in the traffic toward the library instead of trying to turn around. I went into the library and came out with a DVD and six books I didn't need. Then, I returned to the laundromat, which was time consuming and an all round pain.
Good thing I had a book.....

Here are my library finds:


Tuya's Marriage, a DVD, is described thusly:
"Tuya, hardworking and hardheaded, is a Mongolian desert herder who refuses to be settled in a town in accordance with the new industrialization policy. She is kept busy with two kids, a disabled husband and one hundred sheep to care for, but one day she hurts her back. The only way for the family to survive is for her to divorce her husband on paper and look for a new spouse who can take care of the whole family. A series of suitors lines up, but it s not easy to find a man who fits the bill. This warm, endearing tale, featuring stunning cinematography, won the top prize at the 2007 Berlin International Film Festival."  (How did I find this DVD? By looking in the "just returned" stack.)

I also borrowed two books on the short list for the 2011 Man Asian Literary Prize:
YAN LIANKE, China - Dream of Ding Village (Grove Atlantic)
 JAMIL AHMAD, Pakistan - The Wandering Falcon (Penguin India/Hamish Hamilton
and hope to get to the others that I haven't read as yet, sometime this year.

Then I went to the mystery section and grabbed some cozies, the opiate of (some of) the masses, like myself:

Death of a Greedy Woman by M. C.Beaton, a new Hamish Macbeth mystery set in Scottush highlands. ( I hoped she was greedy for money, or food, or diamonds, but not for reading!)
A Grave in the Cotswolds by Rebecca Tope (Any mystery with the word "Cotswolds" in it always gets my attention. )
Death in a Difficult Position: A Mantra for Murder Mystery by Diana Killian (I'm due for yoga class tomorrow but will try not to over do it.)

and one more book that is lost somewhere in the house. I will hopefully find it before it's due.


Mantra for Murder Mystery
And what books, fellow bloggers, have you found lately at the library or the bookstore?

© Harvee Lau of Book Dilettante. Please do not reprint without permission

10 comments:

  1. The Wandering Falcon was an interesting and intense read, and I will be looking forward to your reactions to it. It was very short, but packed a lot into those pages! Great stack from the library today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped at the library today and actually returned as many items as I took out. The ones I got today included two Shakespeare plays and an exercise DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the looks of Death in a Difficult Position! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dare not venture into a library; I have far too many books to read already. But if I did, Rebecca Tope and M.C. Beaton would also catch my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. See things happen for a reason. You were meant to make that detour to the library..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's fun to do a little something unplanned and it sounds like you came away with some great reads!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love unplanned library visits.
    I can stay there all day. I have to physically stop myself from borrowing too much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read the Agatha Raisin mysteries from M.C. Beaton, but not this series.

    Hope you enjoy all your books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love browsing anywhere that has books-the best part about the library is that it is free. I recently checked out Day after Night which was bout Jewish refugees in Palestine-I thought it was a great story and quite enjoyed it on books on tape.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm laughing laughing laughing. I work in a library, and still can't avoid 'browsing' in two other libraries where I have reciprocal privileges. When I have ILLs to pick up I often send my husband to get them, so I don't get tempted.

    You have of course added two more to my To Be looked for list.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...