Jul 3, 2015

Book Review: The Truth and Other Lies by Sascha Arango

Visit Book Beginnings at Rose City Reader. 

The Truth and Other Lies by Sascha Arango, published June 23, 2015; Viking.
Genre: literary thriller

Book beginning, first paragraph:
No getting away from it. A quick glance at the image was enough to give shape to the dim suspicions of the past months. The embryo lay curled up like an amphibian, one eye looking straight at him. Was that a leg or a tentacle above the dragon's tail? 
My comments:
A famous and wealthy author hides the fact that his reclusive wife, a prolific writer, is the true author of all his books. When his lover, the editor of the publishing company for his books, becomes pregnant and demanding, he must decide between the wife who has made his fortune and continues to do so, and the woman who is to bear his child. 

A flawed hero who nevertheless has likable and charitable qualities, Henry Hayden made me dislike him and then like him, and dislike him again. I didn't know whether to root for him or condemn him. What did I finally decide?  I didn't mind how the book ends. 

I gave this book five stars, for its unusual main character and the dilemma he presented for the reader. Told well, it's a book I'd recommend for those thriller lovers who also have a literary bent.

Thanks to the publisher for a review copy of this book. 

3 comments:

  1. Several folks that I know have read or are in the middle of reading this book. The plot does sound fascinating.

    It is something that I would like to read.

    I really tend to like flawed characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds fascinating and I do love when authors make me love than hate than love a character (or vice versa!). I'll have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harvee, this does sound wonderful. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...