Jul 4, 2015

Sunday Salon: Fireflies on the Lawn

Welcome to the Sunday Salon where bloggers share their reading each week. Visit The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated Bookreviewer. Also visit Mailbox Monday.

I was distracted from the fireworks on TV tonight by the natural fireworks going on outside my window - fireflies on the lawn. I actually enjoyed them just as much as the televised show. 

I finished reading these two books last week:
1.  Scents and Sensibility: A Chet and Bernie Mystery  by Spencer Quinn, to be released July 14, 2015, ARC compliments of Atria Books.
My comments: Humor, mystery, suspense, pathos in Arizona. Chet the dog and his human partner Bernie nearly broke my heart in this latest novel. I'd like to see at least one more adventure before the two retire from the PI business, if they do.....in London, maybe. Five stars to this mystery novel!
2.  X (Kinsey Millhone #24) by Sue Grafton, to be published August 25, 2015; a win - ARC compliments of Putnam. 
My comments: Kinsey tackles three problems at the same time, all three unrelated. This means the reader works at keeping the characters and situations separate, but the novel, as all her others, comes out as far more realistic than many mystery books. In this one, she tries to bust some stereotypes about the wealthy and about the elderly. I gave this 4 stars!
Arrived in the mail:
The Coincidence of Coconut Cake by Amy E.Reichert, to be released July 21, 2015; novel compliments of Gallery Books.
YOU'VE GOT MAIL meets HOW TO EAT A CUPCAKE in this delightful novel about a talented chef and the food critic who brings down her restaurant—whose chance meeting turns into a delectable romance of mistaken identities.

I'm eager to start this one, but first......books for tours, which I am also enjoying..!
Bum Rap by Paul Levine, July 13 book tour
The Festival of Insignificance by Milan Kundera, July 16 book tour

What are you reading? 

23 comments:

  1. I'm quite jealous to see you reading X. I've been reading Grafton since...well, A! Hope to see what you think of X soon!

    Here's my Sunday Salon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave it 4 stars and left my comments above, Deb. Hope you get to read it soon.

      Delete
  2. I requested X as well, but have missed her last one or two. I'll have to borrow them before it arrives. I'd actually love to read the series one after the other as I often have long chunks of time in between and can't remember what Kinsey was up to in the previous one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot ob books to cover, A-X. I have read a few inbetween but would like to read them all too.

      Delete
  3. I am eager to read X...love this series, and I agree that the characters and situations are more realistic than some mysteries. I love Kinsey and her quirkiness.

    The Coincidence of Coconut Cake looks good to me....and the comparison to You've Got Mail and How to Eat a Cupcake kind of sold me...and I love coconut!

    Enjoy...and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't read You've Got Mail or How to Eat a Cupcake, but may try them once I finish Coconut Cake! I love coconut too!

      Delete
  4. I read the first two Chet and Bernie mysteries and thoroughly enjoyed them. Then, well... life happened and I haven't ready a mystery in years.

    I ADORE this title, however, and I think it might be time to return to these humorous entertaining escapades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are thinking of reading the series again, Molly. Definitely entertaining. I'd read the previous one to this first. That was super entertaining too.

      Delete
  5. Fireflies definitely put on fireworks shows worth seeing.

    My wife was reading through the Kinsey Millhone books for a awhile. Fascinating that it is up to X. I guess she will finish the alphabet within the next couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read a few out of order, Brian, but may start at A. The library has them all, I think!

      Delete
  6. Chet and Bernie is a series I think I will enjoy as a mystery and a dog lover. I sigh when I see people enjoying X because I haven't read the series and wow, do I have a lot of territory to cover to get up to X myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would most likely love Chet and Bernie if you are a dog and mystery lover, Rita. I may start with Grafton's A and slowly make my way up....

      Delete
  7. I love the Chet and Bernie series, although I've fallen behind on it.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love fireflies. They're just so pretty to watch. I'm curious about the Sue Grafton. I read the first half of the series but stopped years ago. I'd love to catch up on it. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Coincidence of Coconut Cake sounds like a great summer read Harvee.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cake book sounds and looks fantastic! I hope you enjoy your stack!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, how was X? The Coincidence of Coconut Cake looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 'Coconut Cake' was an enjoyable, light read (I finished it yesterday). Perfect for summer.
    We noticed the fireflies last night - takes me back to my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anything with cake in the title sounds yummy to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. ENJOY!!

    The coconut book looks so good and it would be good to have a slice of that cake. :)

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with Elizabeth. That coconut cake looks delicious! I hope you'll enjoy your new books a great deal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't realize Kinzie was all the way to X already. I'm still somewhere in the middle of the alphabet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd love to read these Sue Grafton books, love the fact there are loads of them!

    Have a great week

    Heather @ Random Redheaded Ramblings

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...