Feb 26, 2021

Book Beginning: Leonora in the Morning Light by Michaela Carter

 I'm enjoying reading non-thriller/mystery books thus far , having "given up" reading that genre until mid April! Here's an historical art novel I'm in the middle of:


Leonora in the Morning Light by Michaela Carter, April 6, 2021

Genre: historical novel, Surrealism

Source:  Netgalley

This novel follows the Surrealist artist Leonora Carrington and the art, drama, and romance that defined her coming-of-age during World War II.

 Artists like Andre Breton, Pablo Picasso, Lee Miller, Man Ray, and Salvador Dali, are challenging conventional approaches to art and life. Leonora begins a torrid romance with the artist Max Ernst in Paris, until they are forced to flee France at the beginning of the war. (details from the publisher)

Book beginning: 

Part I

Two Children Are Threatened by a Nightingale

Leonora, June 1937, London, England

It was Leonora's first dinner party as a grown woman, and Ursula and she were the hosts. The garden was Ursula's, but the party had been her idea - a garden party lit by the full moon, with white foods and attire because the moonlight called for it, and because Max Ernst was visiting London and had decided to join them. 

Page 56:

 "Father?" She thought of his fiery eyes, his cheeks ruddy with anger, thought of his parting words, May your shadow never darken my door again. You will die penniless, in a garret. "Is there any other way?"

 

Would you read on?

The Friday 56. Grab a book, turn to page 56 or 56% of your eReader. Find any sentence that grabs you. Post it, and add your URL post in Linky at Freda's Voice.
Also visit Book Beginning at Rose City Reader.

8 comments:

  1. Historical art novel? I like the sound of that. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would ! I know all those names, but I've never really taken a closer look at surrealism and I think reading a novel about them would be a good introduction :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that 56 is a bit harsh! Now I want to know more. Here's mine: “FINLEY DONOVAN IS KILLING IT”

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Friday56 is sad!! Sounds like a fascinating historical, very different.

    Here's my Friday post. Featuring J. A. Jance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you are enjoying Leonora in the Morning Light. She led such an interesting life and was a brilliant artist. If be curious to read a historical novel about her. I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this books sounds like one up my alley. I hope it is as good as the snippets hint. My Friday Quotes this week are here

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an interesting read! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmm, I wonder why. Here is my Book Beginnings: https://francebooktours.com/2021/02/26/lorigine-book-beginnings/

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Voices of the Old and the New: Corky Lee and Julia Alvarez

  NEW RELEASES Corky Lee's Asian America Fifty Years of Photographic Justice by  Corky Lee Publication April 9, 2024; Clarkson Potter/Te...