Jul 25, 2010

Sunday Salon: Paper Butterfly by Diane Wei Liang

The Sunday Salon.com

Welcome to the Sunday Salon!



I have  been reading only one book for the past 2 weeks because of a death in the family. The events have been concluded smoothly. Here's what I've been reading:


Paper Butterfly: A Mei Wang Mystery (Mei Wang Mysteries)
by Diane Wei Liang, February 2010, Simon and Schuster

A family member who speed read this mystery tells me that the book is really a commentary on the Communist system in China and on the events of the Tienanmen Massacre and some of its consequences.

The book is centered on the mystery of the disappearance and murder of a well known pop singer, Kaili. The main character, Wang Mei, is a private investigator in Beijing who is hired to find the actress and who continues to resolve the murder mystery even after being pulled off the case.

I am only 2/3 of the way through the book, but I understand it's interesting both politically and as a thriller.

Paperback: 240 pages
Publisher: Simon and Schuster (February 23, 2010)
Source: Library
Rating: 3.5

7 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about the death in your family. My thoughts are with you.

    Sounds like an interesting book. There are so many aspects to the Chinese culture I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jemi. It's been seven years now...

      Delete
  2. I'm always looking for a new author, and I love the setting to be in far off places. Most of what I've been reading is taking place in Japan, but this sounds like a great change of pace. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about a family member passing away Harvee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the condolences, friends. I am trying some speed reading to finish the book!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Magic, High Fantasy, Historical Fiction: the Poppy War Trilogy

  Mailbox Another book came in the mail, thanks to Wiley Saickek Publicity. A Fondness for Truth: A Linder and  Donatellli Mystery   by Swis...