Aug 26, 2012

Sunday Salon: The Importance of Being.....

The Sunday Salon.com Welcome to the Sunday Salon!

 Would you believe I'm reading for the first time, The Importance of Being Earnest: A Trivial Comedy for Serious People by Oscar Wilde. This after looking at some short comedy skits a friend had written, produced, and taped. He could decide to do a Jamaican-style version of Earnest, so I'm sending this to him!


I've been jumping around from book to book, and have settled on a humorous mystery novel set in India: The Case of the Deadly Butter Chicken by Tarquin Hall. I needed a comedy break after (trying to) read The Orphan Master's Son, a novel that takes itself way too seriously. (But then I've never been to North Korea.)


I also had requested Ha Jin's Nanjing Requiem from Amazon Vine and have been sitting on it, another serious novel. But I think I'll get to it soon.

A Scandinavian-style crime novel I plan to read is Pierced by Thomas Enger, featuring Norwegian crime reporter Henning Juul, second in the series. I've been finding recent Scandinavian crime books very, very noir or dark, but we'll see about this one.

Also on the list is The King's Damsel by Kate Emerson, the fifth in the historical romance and intrigue series.


Now I've exhausted the different genres I plan on reading.

What are you reading this week?

12 comments:

  1. Pierced sounds intriguing. Hope you enjoy your week....

    Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the cover of Ha Jin. I don't know if I'd read it at the moment -- does sound pretty depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all look good, especially the Kate Emerson book. Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes we all need a humor break. Those drama filled books can take a toll.

    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds as if you have been, and will continue to, enjoy you reading! I have not been reading as much as I'd like to lately....

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a diverse stack. This week I'm reading It by Stephen King and maybe a non-fiction pick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only read my first Oscar Wilde this year, and I think I would prefer the light comedy.

    Intrigued by the Hall book, too. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kate Emerson's series looks really good!

    - Jessica @ Book Sake

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the books you've chosen! I'm reading light fare this week before I head back to a new school year on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting and varied collection of books you're reading. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nanjing Requiem sounds amazing to me. I've come to realize that I like the heavy books most of all. I wonder why that is?

    I always love coming to your blog, you review such a wide selection of books :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Three Novels: Japanese Mystery; Family Drama; Ecuadorian

  Books in the mail The Night of Baba Yaga  by Akira Otani (translated from the Japanese). July 2, 2024, Soho Crime This is an unusual novel...