Jan 8, 2013

New Release/Book Teaser: The Blood Gospel by James Rollins

Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by MizB; choose sentences at random from your current read. Identify author and title for readers. First Chapter, First Paragraph is hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea.

Title: The Blood Gospel (The Order of the Sanguines)
Published January 8, 2012; William Morrow
Genre: historical mystery

Opening sentences: 
Caesarea, Israel.  Dr. Erin Granger stroked her softest brush across the ancient skull. As the dust cleared, she studied it with the yes of a scientist, noting the tiny seams of bone, the open fontanel. Her gaze evaluated the amount of callusing, judging the skull to be that of a newborn, and from the angle of the pelvic bone, a boy. (ch. 1. From an advanced reader's edition. Final copy may differ.)
Book description: An earthquake in Masada, Israel, kills hundreds and reveals a tomb buried in the heart of the mountain. A trio of investigators explore the macabre discovery, a subterranean temple holding the crucified body of a mummified girl.

But a brutal attack at the site sets the three on the run, thrusting them into a race to recover what was once preserved in the tomb’s sarcophagus: a book rumored to have been written by Christ’s own hand, a tome that is said to hold the secrets to His divinity.... The answers to all go back to a secret sect within the Vatican, one whispered as rumor but whose very existence was painted for all to see by Rembrandt himself, a shadowy order known as the Sanguines. (publisher)

Another novel in the historial fiction genre of The DaVinci Code. Any takers? Would you continue reading?

9 comments:

  1. This sounds a lot like the DaVinci Code, and for that reason alone, I would probably not read this one. I do hope that you enjoy it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of those books that I would not pick up on my own, it would have to be recommended to me, but DaVinci was recommended and I still have not read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DaVinci code or not... this book on its own sounds highly interesting. I guess you just have to have an interest in anthropology and history from that era to be piqued.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'd continue reading....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read about this book in my RT Magazine and have to say that I think it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This makes me kinda curious for more. It's a new title to me, so I'm hoping u enjoy it. Thanks so much for joining in this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really sounds a little too derivative of the Da Vinci code.

    This has gotten me to thinking, however. I found that the The Divinci Code was itself very much derivative of Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum. Therefore I think that Brown would have no right to complain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first paragraph didn't grab me right away but I did love The Divinci Code. Maybe I'd read a few pages before deciding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd keep reading for sure! I love a good historical mystery.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Three Novels: Japanese Mystery; Family Drama; Ecuadorian

  Books in the mail The Night of Baba Yaga  by Akira Otani (translated from the Japanese). July 2, 2024, Soho Crime This is an unusual novel...