Feb 18, 2013

The First Rule of Ten by Hendricks and Lindsay

Two memes that feature books weekly: Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by MizB; choose sentences from your current read and identify author and title for readers. First Chapter, First Paragraph is hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea. Opening sentences in a book can help readers decide if the book is one they would continue reading. 

The opening paragraphs of The First Rule of Ten begin with a letter from Tenzing Norbu, an ex-monk turned police officer in Los Angeles, to his former religious superiors in India.


Topanga Canyon, Calif. Jan. 12, Year of the Iron Tiger
Lama Yeshe and Lama Lobsang
Dorje Yidam Monastery
Dharamshala, India 
Venerable Brothers,
Last Friday night, I tasted one of life's sweet little experiences.
Saturday, I got shot.
It makes me wonder if I have a low tolerance for things going well in my  world.
Or maybe I just need to be more mindful of what's going on, both outside and in.
Would the beginning sentences in the book entice you to continue reading?

Title: The First Rule of Ten: A Tenzing Norbu Mystery
Authors: Gay Hendricks and Tinker Lindsay
Published: January 1, 2012; Hay House Visions
Genre: mystery

About the book: Growing up in a Tibetan Monastery, Ten dreamed of becoming a modern-day Sherlock Holmes. So when he was sent to Los Angeles to teach meditation, he joined the LAPD instead. But as the Buddha says, change is inevitable; and ten years later, everything is about to change—big-time—for Ten. One resignation from the police force, two bullet-wounds, three suspicious deaths, and a beautiful woman later, he quickly learns that whenever he breaks his first rule, mayhem follows. (publisher)

The first rule of Ten by the way, is: “Don’t ignore intuitive tickles lest they reappear as sledgehammers.” 

22 comments:

  1. That would definitely grab my attention. Sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Carol, though he should definitely be more mindful... lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely keep reading; it sounds wonderful, and I love the cover as well.

    Thank you so much for joining us this week. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would definitely take notice and keep reading. I am very curious about the narrator and his previous experiences....

    Thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  5. The premise os this book is tantalizing. The opening of the book seems both serious yet playful if that makes any sense. I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A definite read! In fact, your post reminded me that I purchased this as an ebook when it was first released, but haven't read it yet. Time to go into my "library" and retrieve it!

    Here's my FCFPTO pick: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/02/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in agreement, that would definitely grab my attention. But then, you had my attention when with a monk becoming a police officer. Intriguing book. Looking forward to reading your review of it.

    Mason
    Thoughts in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow. This sounds like something I would be interested in reading. It would be fascinating to know how reconciles his Buddhist beliefs with the realities of living in a Western city like LA.

    ReplyDelete
  9. . . . how *he* reconciles . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm on the fence, not sure if I would keep reading or not. It certainly sounds interesting when he considers being shot one of life's sweet little experiences. Not sure I agree with that comment. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terrific teaser! The book captures my attention, Harvee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very intriguing! Hope you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yes, those sentences pull you right in to the waiting story. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the cover. I would keep reading. That little bit intrigued me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds so different, and I would love to see how it develops, so I would keep reading for sure. Now, this isn't my usual genre, but the fact that it has such unusual characters makes me curious!! Good luck with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not sure the opening sentences would make me want to read more, but the synopsis sure does! I also like his first rule. That intrigues me.
    My Teaser is from TEN TINY BREATHS.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I definitely want to read this one. The idea of a Tibetan Sherlock is one I have to see for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds good and I think that's a great cover.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would need to read a bit further to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh yeah, I'd definitely keep reading. Sounds really unique and intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Not sure so I would have to read a bit more!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...