May 12, 2013

Sunday Salon: Happy Mother's Day and International Migratory Bird Day!

The Sunday Salon.com Welcome to the Sunday Salon! Also submitted to It's Monday; What Are You Reading? at Book Journey, and  Mailbox Monday hosted by Abi at 4 the LOVE of BOOKS.

If you are looking for a Mother's Day theme in crime fiction, here is Janet Rudolph's list: Mother's Day Crime Fiction/Mother's Day Mysteries. Lovers of mystery novels won't find this alarming! There are mystery novels to fit almost every theme!


Today is also International Migratory Bird Day and there are bird watching events happening all over the country. Want to read a few bird mysteries or a birding novel? Here are a few:




The first one is a mystery and The Guide to the Birds of East Africa  is a novel set in contemporary Kenya with its 1,000 species of birds. Click on the book covers to get more information.

We went birding at Magee Marsh near Lake Erie last Saturday, a pretty cool but sunny day and we saw more migrating warblers than we had last year. Or maybe we are just getting better at finding the birds on the ground and among tree branches low and high. It was a fun day and we saw birds that were new to us, such as the beautiful yellow and black hooded warbler. I learned the names of many of the birds we saw; birders are eager to share what they know.

American Goldfinch in our backyard 
We were so excited that this goldfinch visited. Seems we have been getting more birds we haven't had in the backyard before. For the first time ever, I saw an Eastern Towhee, the American Goldfinch, and Dark-eyed Juncos. Maybe that long winter made them want to come out in force!

Back to books - ARCs that arrived last week:
Dark Diversions by John Ralston Saul; Pintail Books
A Half Forgotten Song by Katherine Webb; William Morrow/HarperCollins
Siege and Storm: Book 2 of the Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo; Henry Holt

Books that arrived:
Billy and Me by Giovanna Fletcher; Penguin
Down London Road by Samantha Young; Penguin UK
Agorafabulous by Sara Benincasa; William Morrow/HarperCollins

Mother's Day brunch later on, then maybe back to the park! Happy Mother's Day and hope you have sunshine and laughter!

18 comments:

  1. Hi Harvee,

    I hope that you enoyed your Mother's Day. Our own UK Mother's Day was back at the beginning of March, so I shall never understand why these universal celebration days should not be on the same date worldwide, just like Easter or Christmas!

    They say that there are books for almost every occasion, but I just can't believe how many murder / mystery books there are specifically aimed at Mother's Day. I don't read too many 'cozy mysteries', so this one wouldn't be for me.

    With the late onset of Spring, we have noticed a marked decline in the number of visiting garden birds, although there seems to be an abundance of visiting swans this year, on all the lakes and canals.

    You have a great, varied haul of ARC's and review books this week, however the one that caught my eye the most, was 'A Half Forgotten Song'. Despite Katherine Webb being a home-grown, UK author, I haven't come across her name before, but she is definitely now on my list for future reading, so thanks for sharing her details.

    Have a great week,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you love getting new books in the mail? I got one yesterday that I didn't expect until next week (Sweet Salt Air, by Barbara Delinsky), so it felt like Christmas.

    Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am a bird watcher too. Can't wait to see what birds arrive to the feeder at this new house. Was sad to leave a pair of cardinals behind at the old house.

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Mother's Day Harvee!


    I did not know that it was International Migratory Birds Day. As someone who commonly spends time in the wild with a pair of binoculars I have done some very ad hoc birding. I can see how the hobby can occupy a great deal of one's time and efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will LOVE Sweet Salt Air. ENJOY!!

    Love your Mother's Day book...too bad it is a murder. LOL!!!

    Happy Mother's Day everyone.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the covers you shared. That goldfinch is so pretty. Enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those male yellow finches are just stunning. We had a few at our feeder as well. Happy Day; Happy Week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Mother's Day! I love your bird themed books. I received Down London Road this week too and hear it's fantastic. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I long to know birds by sight and by their call much better than I do. Love your photographs and your book(s) of them!

    I received Billy and Me, too, which looks like a fun spring read. Although I'll probably be reading it in the summer by the time school gets out, and I'm done teaching. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was also International Nurses Day. Thanks to all of them for the great work they do (my daughter is also a nurse!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've got some great books lined up and waiting for you! Enjoy!

    Here's my It's Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm thinking about getting Down London Road - hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've noticed so much bird activity this year. It's great to read about it. The photos are wonderful! Enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope your day was special! Looks like some great reads this week, hope you enjoy them!
    Thanks for stopping by my booksih memes post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Down London Road sounds interesting, enjoy! your reading week.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/05/mailbox-monday_13.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. The covers of the bird books are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved the Guide to the Birds book...it surprised me as to how much!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooooh, bird books! I can never have too many of those. Lucky you, birding at Magee Marsh. I've heard it is excellent. I was birding on a golf course for International Migratory Bird Day. We saw a fair amount of warblers including a beautiful Golden-winged Warbler, a new bird for me.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...