Jan 31, 2014

THE SAME MOON by Junying Kirk

Title: The Same Moon by Junying Kirk
Published April 6, 2013
Genre: fiction


Chapter One: Forbidden Love
The young man who haunted me in my dreams was Xia Yu, the solemn looking boy who first caught my shy eyes when I was barely thirteen and has occupied a sacred corner in my heart ever since.
 “Do you know why my parents named me Xia Yu?” His voice was deep and intense, yet full of tenderness. (Junying Kirk. The Same Moon (Kindle Locations 160-163). 
page 56: 
“I want to give you something, from China... and I hope you like them,” I struggled on a nervous murmur, my hand reaching out with what I had picked out earlier. 
“Wow, this is beautiful,” his face shone in delight with my first gift, a beautifully painted calligraphic classic poem. (Junying Kirk. The Same Moon (Kindle Locations 5127-5129). 
Book description: 
"Pearl Zhang was born in Sichuan Province in China, and grew up during the Cultural Revolution. She was raised in a typically Chinese manner, went to school, got a job and got married, and her whole life path had been mapped out, or so it seemed. She then seized the opportunity to study in the United Kingdom – and stayed.  How did Pearl adjust to the Western way of life, and what did she have to do to overcome the barriers? Would she find happiness and fulfillment with her English suitor in Scotland, or would her heartache continue? She was in a new world, both foreign and exciting – albeit under the Same Moon.

This book, the first of Junying Kirk’s “Journey to the West” Trilogy, will take you on a journey full of surprises and discoveries, history and culture - from the East to the West - and from the Middle Kingdom to the United Kingdom." (publisher)

Junying Kirk's second and third books, in the trilogy are Trials of Life, which continues the story of Pearl in the United Kingdom, and Land of Hope, a novel of international intrigue.

Thanks to the author for a review copy of this book. 
Friday 56 Rules: *Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader  *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you. *Post it. *Add your (url) post in Linky at Freda's Voice.

Also Book Beginnings by Rose City Reader.

13 comments:

  1. I think that the cultural shock for the narrator must have been something almost impossible to understand unless one has experienced something similar. Sometimes I think that we forget just how different people, places and societies can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Brian, I quite agree with you. Without personal experiences of two very different cultures (Chinese & British in my case), it would have been much harder to imagine or appreciate the kind of culture shock and many fundamental differences between different peoples. However, there are also many common characteristics that human beings share, which allow us to adapt, adjust and ultimately adore and assimilate. That is the beauty of the world we live in, multicultural and embracing diversity among us.

      Thanks for your comments!

      Delete
  2. Interesting opening, it really draws the reader into the story. I also love the cover :D Will definitely keep a look out for this novel, I don't read enough books set in China.

    Thanks for dropping by my Friday book memes, happy reading! :)

    - Lianne @ caffeinatedlife.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lianne, I'm delighted to hear that you love the cover, as I do :).

      Happy reading in the Year of Horse, which starts today!

      Delete
  3. I love books about other cultures :) Being from South America, Europe & specially Asia are really exotic for me. It sounds like a really good book.


    Ruty@THE FRIDAY 56

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful 56! Love the title, the cover! I will check it out!

    Here is my post

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully written opening and excerpt. I'm putting this book on my TBR list. I just love trilogies.

    My Friday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/01/friday-focus-friday-56-book-beginnings_31.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to learn more about Chinese culture, and this book sounds like a good way to begin doing that. What better way to learn than through an entertaining story?
    Here's the link to my Friday post: QUILT TRIP.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely opening! The book sounds intriguing to me, and I also like its title and cover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Ruty, Gautami, Catherine, Sandra & Suko, for your lovely comments & interest in my book. Will check out your posts. Happy reading, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so intrigued at that beginning. Why did he get that name? I have to know!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This does sound good, and I like that first quote.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fredamans & Naida, glad you found it intriguing & like the sound of it. The book will answer your questions, of which I am sure :). Happy reading, ladies!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...