Jul 25, 2014

Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King: Book Beginning

 *Grab a book, any book. *Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader  *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you. *Post it. *Add your (url) post in Linky at Freda's Voice Also Book Beginnings by Rose City Reader.

Mr. Mercedes
Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King
Published June 3, 2014; Simon and Schuster
Genre: thriller

page 56:
"I hope there are plenty of people with me when we catch him. If I nail him alone, I'm apt to kill him just for putting me on the outs with my daughter."
"Then why hope for plenty of people?"
Book beginning:
Augie Odenkirk had a 1997 Datsun that an well in spite of high mileage, but gas was expensive, especially for a man with no job, and City Center was on the far side of town , so he decided to take the last bus of the night. He got off at twenty past eleven with his pack on his back and his rolled-up sleeping bag under one arm. He thought he would be glad of the down-filled bag by three A.M. The night was musty and chill.  
"Good luck man," the driver said as he stepped down. "You ought to get something for just being the first one there."
Book description: "In a mega-stakes, high-suspense race against time, three of the most unlikely and winning heroes Stephen King has ever created try to stop a lone killer from blowing up thousands.... In the gloomy pre-dawn hours of a distressed Midwestern city, hundreds of unemployed hopefuls are lined up for a job fair. Without warning, a merciless driver plows through the crowd in a roaring Mercedes. Eight people are killed; 15 are wounded. The killer escapes into the early-spring fog never to be seen from again. Until now..."

My comments: I am willing to try this new Stephen King novel as it seems to be a thriller, not pure horror as his early books are. A detective is determined to hunt down the Mercedes killer before he can wreck more havoc. The plot does sound like a roller coaster ride and I'm willing to go on this one. 

How about you? Would you read Mr. Mercedes? 

14 comments:

  1. I have not read king in a while. I wonder what his newer fiction is like. The old 1997 Datsun is so indicative of his style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read King in a while, but I also prefer the mysteries over the horror stories. This one intrigues me. Thanks for sharing.

    Here's mine: “EVERYWHERE THAT MARY WENT”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read Steven King, but this does sound good and he does have a great reputation as a writer. I enjoyed the quote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read it yet. I can't wait to read it though, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to read King for awhile but generally don't love plain horror. I like the sounds of this being a bit of a thriller and the excerpts are good - especially that 56! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen this book featured on several blogs but didn't realize it was a mystery instead of a horror story. I'll definitely read this one.
    Here's the link to my Friday post: REMIX.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would agree with you. Thriller works for me, but not horror.

    I usually cannot read Stephen King's books. They are always too scary.

    Mysteries are the safest bet for me.

    ENJOY your weekend of reading.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not big on either horror or thrillers--hope you enjoy! The only King I've read was his book on Kennedy 11/22/63--because I'm a bit of a Kennedy buff.

    I've been away from the meme for a while, but trying to get back in the swing of things. Here's my Friday Post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I NEED this book in my life!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to read this one. Love that teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds really good. I tend to steer clear of King since I don't do a lot of horror, but this might be one I would enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I generally don't like Stephen King (his horror stuff), but did love 11/22/63...seems his turning more towards thrillers recently? I'm waiting to hear what people say about Mr. Mercedes before deciding whether to try it. If it's more like 11/22/63, I definitely will.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just finished it. It's not horror - I'd call it creepy crime fiction.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...