Apr 17, 2015

Book Beginning: Mr Monk and the New Lieutenant by Hy Conrad

The Friday 56: *Grab a book, any book. *Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader  *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you. *Post it. *Add your (url) post in Linky at Freda's Voice. Also visit Book Beginnings at Rose City Reader.
Mr. Monk and the New Lieutenant by Hy Conrad
Published January 6, 2015; NAL; paperback to be published May 5, 2015
Genre: mystery
Book beginning, first paragraph: 
I have made a slow, sad discovery over the past few months. Brace yourself. You might not want to hear this. Office work is boring.
Okay, maybe that wasn't a shock. But when you fantasize about being a private eye, when you work and plan and visualize yourself opening a real business with real clients walking through the door with exciting, life-and-death problems to solve...Well, let's just say there are a lot of hours in the workday. 
Page 56: 
It was kind of a nonevent, to be honest, and probably the easiest tail job I've ever done. 
Book description:
Monk and Natalie have finally settled into a new office routine. But the detectives soon have a more serious conflict to deal with: Captain Stottlemeyer’s new lieutenant, A.J. Cartledge—a man of limited skills whom Monk finds insufferable.
Monk and Natalie attend the funeral of Judge Oberlin, and it’s a good thing. In typical fashion, Monk examines the body in the casket—and finds evidence of poison. The judge was murdered.

What do you think of this, the 19th in the Adrian Monk series? My hubby is a great fan of  Mr. Monk!

6 comments:

  1. I read one book in this series and loved it. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “EVERYONE WORTH KNOWING”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is such an endearing flawed character, Mr. Monk!

      Delete
  2. I read one Monk book, and it was fun. He's quite a quirky character.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the TV series based on the book too. Too bad the actor decided not to continue and the series was discontinued, tho there are reruns all the time.

      Delete
  3. I loved the series though I haven't read any of the books. I have another cozy written by Hy Conrad that I'm really curious about. I'll have to give that one and this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the TV Series and didn't realize there were books! This is now on my must read list. I can only imagine how much funnier it is when you can read Monk's thoughts. What a delightful mess he is. LOL
    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/04/17/the-friday-56-58-terror-never-sleeps-by-richard-blomberg/

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Three Novels: Japanese Mystery; Family Drama; Ecuadorian

  Books in the mail The Night of Baba Yaga  by Akira Otani (translated from the Japanese). July 2, 2024, Soho Crime This is an unusual novel...