Aug 18, 2015

First Chapter: THE PARIS KEY by Juliet Blackwell

First Chapter, First Paragraph is hosted weekly by Bibliophile by the Sea. Share the first paragraph of your current read. Also visit Teaser Tuesdays meme hosted by Jenn.

The Paris Key: A Novel by Juliet Blackwell, to be published September 1, 2015 by NAL

First paragraph, first chapter:
Her uncle Dave always used to say, "Remember the locksmiths' code, Genevieve. Never reveal the secrets you find behind locked doors, and never - ever! - abuse the power to open a lock." 
Book description: An American in Paris navigates her family’s secret past and unlocks her own future, in this evocative novel by Juliet Blackwell. Genevieve Martin spent the happiest summer of her life in Paris, learning the delicate art of locksmithing at her uncle’s side. But since then, back in the States, she has been holding herself back from those around her, including her soon-to-be-ex-husband.

Faced with an incredible opportunity to return to Paris to take over her late uncle’s shop,  she realizes the city also holds secrets about her family that could change her forever.

Based on the first paragraph, would you keep reading?

16 comments:

  1. I love the cover on this book. That door color is beautiful. Very French looking. And I'm not usually drawn to books set in Paris. However, this may prove the exception.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been itching to get my hands on this one...I love mysteries, books set in Paris....and I'm intrigued by locksmiths.

    One of my uncles had a locksmith business after he retired....and it was fun to watch him work. Usually when he was having to open doors I locked myself out of...LOL.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so good! I love the opening you shared. And, as you know, from my post today, I'm quite taken with France right now. :-) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cover, but still not sure I want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting intro. Not the normal thing, but I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cover, too, and the intro is interesting! I hope you will enjoy it, Harvee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the cover, and the intro. I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, secrets and Paris- a good combo! And I like the cover too... any book about moving to Paris is a winner for me. :) Have a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd read a bit more before deciding. The intro didn't really grab me, but I love books about family secrets!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've really enjoyed Blackwell's other books and I love the cover and premise of this one. It's hard to pass up family secrets and Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like good advice!

    mine: https://storytreasury.wordpress.com/2015/08/17/teaser-tuesday-of-noble-family/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm In love with the cover and would try it without even the intro! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is interesting how a profession that we do not think much about can hold such intriguing aspects to it. I love the locksmith's code. I can see how the premise of this one could a very worthwhile story.

    I would defiantly read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like the sound of this one and want a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job, I was doing a google search and your site came up for homes for sale in Altamonte Springs, FL but anyway, I have enjoyed reading it, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...