Aug 1, 2015

Sunday Salon: A Bouquet of Flowers and Books

Welcome to the Sunday Salon where bloggers share their reading each week. Visit The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated Bookreviewer. Also visit Mailbox Monday.

The roses have decided to bud and open now that the rain has stopped the past week and the weather is warm and sunny. I picked from the garden a small bouquet of two fragrant yellow roses, a pink zinnia, and a yellow and purple daylily for a relative who just got out of the hospital. She loved the fragrance and the variety of colors. 

Two new books for review: 
The Beautiful Bureaucrat: A Novel by Helen Phillips, to be published August 11, 2015 by Henry Holt and Co.

"In a windowless building in a remote part of town, the newly employed Josephine inputs an endless string of numbers into something known only as "The Database." After a long period of joblessness, she's not inclined to question her fortune, but as the days inch by and the files stack up, Josephine feels increasingly anxious in her surroundings.... Helen Phillips enters the company of Murakami, Bender, and Atwood as she twists the world we know and shows it back to us full of meaning and wonder-luminous and new."  (goodreads)

I've started this one and can't seem to put it down. I love the magical world of Murakami, and this book seems to be in a similar vein. 


Evergreen Falls by Kimberley Freeman, to be released August 4, 2015 by Touchstone. 

A long-forgotten secret, a scandalous attraction and a place where two women's lives are changed foreverInspired by elements of her grandmother's life, a tale of intrigue, heartbreak and love from the author of LIGHTHOUSE BAY and WILDFLOWER HILL. (goodreads)

This one mixes the past and the present - 1926 and 2014. 

What's new on your bookshelf?

15 comments:

  1. There's nothing as lovely as homegrown flowers to cheer someone. Love the cover of Evergreen Falls, I think I have one of Kimberley Freeman's on my TBR mountain, but I don't think it's this one. Have a great week and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Phillips looks interesting, I'm very curious about that one. I popped over to Amazon to look and that made me even more curious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love flowers, especially when they are opening up.

    The Beautiful Bureaucrat looks like a book I would enjoy. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Beautiful Bureaucrat sounds fascinating. The plot description makes me want to read it.

    The name of the firm, Murakami, Bender, and Atwood, adds to the intrigue. Clearly a reference to the writers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a former bureaucrat I'm intrigued by The Beautiful Bureaucrat. Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the look of both of these! Evergreen Falls sounds really intriguing. Glad to hear Beautiful Bureaucrat is such a page-turner- adding both to my tbr! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both books look great, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure the flowers brightened the day for your relative. Hope you love your new books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Evergreen Falls looks VERY good.

    ENJOY your reading week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete
  10. We thought we were getting a break from the heat but we were wrong. I want The Beautiful Bureaucrat just for the cover! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cover for 'Evergreen Falls' is gorgeous! It also sounds good too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the sounds of Evergreen Falls! Hope you have a great week!

    Mailbox Monday #2

    ReplyDelete
  13. Evergreen Falls sounds like a good book. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...