Nov 15, 2016

First Chapter: How to Party With an Infant by Kaui Hart Hemmings


How to Party with an Infant by Kaui Hart Hemmings, August 9, 2016
"A quirky single mom in San Francisco tiptoes through the minefields of the "Mommy Wars" and manages to find friendship and love."

First paragraph:
The afternoon holds the beautiful promise that it will soon be over. A rusty gold light falls through the clouds, the cold air has an even sharper edge, and white halogen headlights from cars on Fell and Oak make the little playground light up like a stage. Mele Bart eats cashews from a Dora cup and watches her daughter play on the purple slides.

Ellie, a wonderful mistake, is two and a half years old.

This is my current read. What's yours?

Meme: Every Tuesday First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros are hosted by Bibliophile By the Sea. Share the first paragraph sometimes two, of a book you are reading or plan to read soon.

8 comments:

  1. I had to read the first sentence a couple of times! (But I haven't had my morning coffee yet.) I like the details the author included in her description - the halogen headlights, Dora cup, purple slides. I'd keep reading to get to know Mele and Ellie.
    My Tuesday post features A MAN CALLED OVE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at "quirky" and the SF setting. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “SEND IN THE CLOWNS”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've liked her other books, so I'd keep reading. I own this and it's on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quirky is usually good and I like the opening... I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quirky right up my alley! I love the words she chooses! Not my normal genre but I think I might really like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen this at the library and think I will bring it home.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Three Novels: Japanese Mystery; Family Drama; Ecuadorian

  Books in the mail The Night of Baba Yaga  by Akira Otani (translated from the Japanese). July 2, 2024, Soho Crime This is an unusual novel...