Mar 21, 2017

First Chapter: Flight Patterns by Karen White

FLIGHT PATTERNS, a novel by Karen White, paperback published March 28, 2017.
See my review of the hardcover edition, May 2016.

First chapter:
Georgia April 2015
New Orleans

Memories are thieves. They slip behind you when you least expect it, their cold hands pressed against your face, suffocating. They blow icy-cold air even on the coldest days, and pinch you awake in the middle of the night. My grandfather had once told me that memories were like a faucet you could turn off or on at will, and that after I got to be as old as he was, I'd have figured out how it works. Maybe I just wasn't old enough, because my memories always had a way of getting stuck on the "on" position, flooding my mind with images and snatches of conversation I'd rather not relive. 


Book description:

Georgia Chambers' work as an expert on fine china—especially Limoges—requires her to return to her family home on the coast of Florida. She finds solace in seeing her grandfather still toiling away in the apiary where she spent much of her childhood, but encountering her estranged mother and sister leaves her rattled. 

MEMES: Every Tuesday Bibliophile by the Sea hosts First Chapter First Paragraph, Tuesday Intros sharing the first paragraph or two, from a book you are reading or will be reading soon.

Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by The Purple Booker, where you can find the official rules for this weekly event. 

6 comments:

  1. I would definitely keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book...and that opening. Thanks for sharing.

    Here's mine: “BRIDGES: A DAPHNE WHITE NOVEL”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can definitely relate to memories "...stuck in the 'on' position." I've enjoyed other books by this author, so I'm sure I'd like this one as well.
    My Tuesday post features The Boys in the Boat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh YES, I want to they this one. Hope u like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would keep reading. Sounds like it's out of the usual. Here's the link for my intro/teaser today: http://wp.me/p4DMf0-1w6

    ReplyDelete
  6. The paragraph about memories draws me in. It sounds like a very engaging book.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...