Mar 14, 2017

First Chapter: The Sleepwalker by Chris Bohjalian

The Sleepwalker: A Novel by Chris Bohjalian, January 10, 2017.
"a spine-tingling novel of lies, loss, and buried desire—the mesmerizing story of a wife and mother who vanishes from her bed late one night," 

My rating on goodreads: five stars.

First chapter:
Everyone in the county presumed that my mother's body was decaying - becoming porridge - at the bottom of the Gale River. It was the year 2000, and we were but three seasons removed from the Y2K madness, the overwrought, feared end of the digital age. It was a moment in time when a pair of matching towers still stood at the tip of Lower Manhattan. Fracking and photobomb and selfie were years from becoming words, but we were only months from adding to our vocabularies the expression hanging chad.  

I was twenty-one that summer and fall and my sister was twelve. Neither of us fully recovered. 

Based on the first chapter of the book, would you read on? 

MEME: Every Tuesday Bibliophile by the Sea hosts First Chapter First Paragraph, Tuesday Intros sharing the first paragraph or two, from a book you are reading or will be reading soon.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, I would read on and intend to at some point. I have a copy of this book and have read some very good reviews of it. Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this author but, for me, this wasn't his best effort. Hope you enjoy it, as maybe it was just me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this book, which was one of my Top Ten favorites in 2016.

    Enjoy! Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE FUTURES”

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is on my list. Keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this before but it sounds really compelling. I'd read on for sure and am adding it to my TBR list. Here's my link for today's intro/teaser: http://wp.me/p4DMf0-1vT

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the start of this. I haven't heard Y2k for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had this book home from the library, but didn't get to it. Need to get it back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first sentence grabbed my attention. The rest of it didn't do much for me. I would probably have to read more to say if I would continue.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...