Jul 15, 2018

Sunday Salon: Mystery, History, Travel

I promised myself not to buy any more books, but this one was not available on NetGalley or at the library, so I bought the ebook!
The Girl from Oto (The Miramonde Series Book 1)
The Girl from Oto
I was interested in The Girl from Oto by Amy Maroney, not only because it's an art history mystery, but because it also takes place on the Camino de Compostela in Spain, a new interest of mine, and a place on my bucket visit to visit and do.

New paper books on my shelf include:
Don't Eat Me (Dr. Siri Paiboun #13)
Don't Eat Me 
Don't Eat Me by Colin Cotterill is the most unusual mystery series set in Laos and featuring the fictional Dr. Siri Paiboon, former national coroner of Laos, The books reflect the country's people, their beliefs, superstitions, and interesting cultural slants and is written tongue in cheek, with a great deal of irony and humor.
Four Funerals and Maybe a Wedding (Her Royal Spyness Mystery, # 12)
Four Funerals and Maybe a Wedding
Four Funerals and Maybe a Wedding  by Rhys Bowen is the 12th in the Royal Spyness Mystery series, Georgie, who is the queen's personal spy, is planning her own wedding but a murder intervenes to take time away from her planning.

I am almost finished reading a memoir, To Siri With Love: A Mother, Her Autistic Son, and the Kindness of a Machine by Judith Newman, August 24, 2017, and am learning a lot about autism, how it manifests and how parents can cope. In this case, the boy Gus finds a "friend" in Apple's Siri, as she gives him all the information he asks for and responds to him in a somewhat personal way, as personal as as the AI can get.

What books are you reading this week?
The Sunday Post  hosted by The Caffeinated Bookreviewer,  It's Monday, What Are You Reading? by Book Date., and Mailbox Monday. Also, Stacking the Shelves by Tynga's Reviews.

13 comments:

  1. I need to read something by Rhys Bowen. I LOVE the covers...and they sound so tempting. Enjoy!

    Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always promising myself not to get any more books...but they somehow magically appear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book about autism sounds fascinating. I'll have to look into it. Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes you just have to buy a book! Don't Eat Me sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only read the first book in the Royal Spyness series. I enjoyed it and need to catch up on the rest of the series. Twelve books is kind of daunting though. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All your books are new to me. I'm finally home from an eight day trip. My weekly updates

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Girl From Oto was on my short list. I need to read more of Rhys Bowen - the early ones I read were fun.
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Girl from Oto was on my list last week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Girl from Oto looks good. Love the cover.

    Hope you are having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you very much for for your great information.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing the blog post very amazing. We provide Landscaping, children playing products, Benches, Huts, Gazebo, and much more... please click here: [url=https://www.facebook.com/GardenDecoreKhi]Garden Decore[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing the blog post very amazing. We provide Landscaping, children playing products, Benches, Huts, Gazebo, and much more...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...