Aug 28, 2018

First Chapter: The White Mirror by Elsa Hart


Each week, Vicki at I’d Rather Be At The Beach hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros where readers share the beginning paragraph(s) of a book they are reading or plan to read.  

The White Mirror (Li Du Novels #2)
The White Mirror
The White Mirror by Elsa Hart, September 2016, Minotaur Books
Genre: historical mystery
Setting: 18thC China


First chapter, first paragraph:
In high places, a single storm takes many forms. A wise traveler knows to be wary of what the clouds and the mountains are saying to one another. So when Li Du observed a raindrop strike his mule's bridle and bounce into the air instead of slipping quietly down the leather, he stooped and looked up with some trepidation. Through dripping branches, the sky was like rough silk stretched tight across a frame. 
Book description: 
Li Du, an imperial librarian in 18th century China, is now an independent traveler. He is journeying with a trade caravan bound for Lhasa when he discovers the body of a monk, a painter in the valley, and sets out to discover the secrets behind the murder. 

Do you like the writing? Would you continue reading?

6 comments:

  1. Hi Harvee,

    I love the 'what the clouds and the mountains are saying to one another' expression it really captures the theme. In fact the whole teaser is beautifully written. I'd carry on reading!

    Here's my Tuesday post: http://bit.ly/TeaserTues6

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This totally grabbed me. I want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good. This one is going on my wishlist. This week I have a science fiction/alternate history story - Her Majesty's American by Steve White. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way the book starts so I'd keep reading. Love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the writing, so I would read more. Hope you are enjoying this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the style. I like the setting.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Three Novels: Japanese Mystery; Family Drama; Ecuadorian

  Books in the mail The Night of Baba Yaga  by Akira Otani (translated from the Japanese). July 2, 2024, Soho Crime This is an unusual novel...