Aug 12, 2018

Sunday Salon: Magical Cats and Marriage Secrets

The Cats Came Back (Magical Cats, #10)
In general, I'm not sure how I feel about magical cats that appear and disappear and walk through walls, but the cats in this series are delightful and clever. This is the 10th in the series, so this Magical Cats Mystery  series has staying power!

Title: The Cats Came Back by Sofie Kelly
Publication: September 4, 2018, Berkley Books
Genre: cozy mystery

Plot: Owen and Hercules, the two magical cats are looking forward to taking in some fabulous sardine crackers at a musical fest in town. But then with their owner Kathleen, the cats  stumble across a dead body by the river. The victim is a close friend of theirs and a look-alike for a cabaret singer who is to perform at the festival.

The trio use their magical and regular smarts to try to solve the mystery. 

Thanks to the publisher for a review copy of this book.

Though I got only that one book in the mail last week,  I have plenty of library books and Netgalley ebooks on my TBR list.  

Finished last week were a couple of thrillers with a similar theme - a marriage with a dark mystery behind a secret life, the secret life of a lying spouse.
The Marriage Lie
The Marriege Lie

Under My Skin
Under My Skin
I expected both books to have twists in the plot and predicted to some degree what the twists would or could be. Under My Skin was an interesting read, though I found the plot convoluted in making its twists. Easy reading, nevertheless, for psychological suspense readers. 

Now reading: 
The Life Lucy Knew
The Life Lucy Knew
I have always liked plots that involve amnesia or memory distortions due to injury or head trauma. I luckily discovered a new book, The Life Lucy Knew by Karma Brown, at the library, about a woman who lost parts of her memory after a seemingly minor fall on the ice. She wakes up from a coma to find her domestic life is the opposite of what she remembers. She is not really married and has a live-in boyfriend whom she has always thought of as just a friend. The problem is, she wakes up still thinking of him as just a friend, much to his dismay. 

I can't wait to read on and see how this is resolved!

What books are you reading this week?
Memes:  
The Sunday Post  hosted by The Caffeinated Bookreviewer,
It's Monday, What Are You Reading? by Book Date.
Mailbox Monday. Also, Stacking the Shelves by Tynga's Reviews

30 comments:

  1. I enjoyed The Marriage Lie, and have another of Belle's books, Three Days Missing (still unread).

    I enjoy Unger's books, so Under My Skin just went on my wish list.

    The Life Lucy Knew looks promising. Thanks for sharing, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend recommended A Marriage Lie to a group of us at dinner last week. I'll be curious to see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit predictable for me, only because I've read so many psychological thrillers with a marriage theme. But good overall.

      Delete
  3. I don’t know if I’d like a magical cat book, but the cover is cute. The thrillers look pretty good, too. Have a great week.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be reading this cat book, magic and all!

      Delete
  4. I would love to read Under My Skin! Glad you enjoyed it and I love plot twists. Enjoy your week!

    Mary Sunday Roundup #31!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is full of plot twists; you will love it.

      Delete
  5. A bunch of such different genres and such intriguing reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like mixing up genres for the reading experience!

      Delete
  6. I've seen this series around and I've always kinda wondered about the magical cats. :)

    The Marriage Lie looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying this book, Greg, to see if the magical cats grow on me!

      Delete
  7. All of these are new to me. The ones by Sofie Kelly sound like something I would enjoy. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are a cat lover, you will like this one.

      Delete
  8. I have Curiosity Thrilled the Cat on my wishlist. I'll eventually get to number ten in the series. For the moment, let me say that the cover is adorable. My weekly update

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I'd expect that you love cats, pussreboots!

      Delete
  9. Magical mystery cats sound amazing to me! I am a big cat admirer despite having none of my own (my apartment doesn't allow them ;( )

    My post is here. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure what I think about magical cats either though I'm about to start a book in that series so I guess I'll find out! I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The magical cats has a cute cover and sounds like fun mystery.
    I like the amnesia plotline too.
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The woman doesn't really hae amnesia as such, but what they call, false memory. She remembers things that never happened, which kind of puts a big damper on her present life.

      Delete
  12. You have a nice mix of books here, Harvee. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeps me interested, Suko, the mix of genres.

      Delete
  13. The Cats Came Back sounds quirky and fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quirky, yes, and probably all cat lovers love it.

      Delete
  14. I like amnesia books as well -- I'll keep an eye out for that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is unusual - false memories. Can't wait to see how it resolves.

      Delete
  15. I like amnesia books too, The Life Lucy Knew sounds like a good one. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Magic, High Fantasy, Historical Fiction: the Poppy War Trilogy

  Mailbox Another book came in the mail, thanks to Wiley Saickek Publicity. A Fondness for Truth: A Linder and  Donatellli Mystery   by Swis...