Mar 13, 2022

Sunday Salon: Rom-Coms Galore

 Romantic comedies: NetGalley



Lucy Checks In by Dee Ernst, August 16, 2022, St. Martin's Griffin
Genre: romantic comedy, women's fiction, travel


Comments: Lucia Giannetti was hotel manager for the Fielding Hotel in New York, but after hotel owner and former lover Tony Fielding disappears with millions of dollars, Lucy has to cover the lawsuits and debts with her own money.  

Broken hearted, discouraged, and broke, she accepts a job at the Hotel Paradis in Rennes, France to renovate the 200-year-old hotel. The owner, Claudine, is looking for an American manager to attract tourists. Fixing the run-down chateau with help from only the six hotel residents/co-owners, and with few resources or funding, Lucy faces a daunting challenge. 

I got a better idea of what it takes to update and run a large hotel, from clean linens, to painting the walls, repairing woodwork, plaster and plumbing, decorating each room, and then attracting and taking care of  visitors. 

It was an interesting reading experience, following Lucy and the residents/co-owners of the hotel through the process of creating a beautiful country hotel. Romance helped the story too, as of course, Lucy meets someone she becomes attracted to. A delightful read for the armchair traveler and those who enjoy romantic comedy and France.

I also liked the author's previous rom-com, Maggie Finds Her Muse

Rom-coms to be read:


Seoulmates by Jen Frederick, January 25, 2022, Berkley
Genre: romantic drama, multil-cultural interest

About: When Korean adoptee Hara Wilson lands in Seoul to find her birth mother, she doesn’t plan on falling in love with the first man she lays eyes on, but Choi Yujun is irresistible. (publisher)

 
The No-Show by Beth O'Leary, April 26, 2022, Berkley
Genre: rom-com, women's fiction
 
AboutThree women are unwittingly stood up by the same man they all consider their boyfriend.  

Siobhan is a life coach; Miranda is a tree surgeon; Jane is a  volunteer for a local charity shop. 

Can't wait to see how each one handles this. 

What are you reading this week? 

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso,  It's Monday: What Are You ReadingMailbox Mondayand Sunday SalonStacking the Shelves


34 comments:

  1. I'd like to read The No-Show. I really enjoyed The Flatshare by Beth O'Leary so she's on my auto-read list until I read something of hers I don't like, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of Seoulmates but Seoul fascinates me anyway as a city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sound of Lucy Checks in...mostly because it's set in France and it's about fixing up a hotel. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those two together make for a nice read.

      Delete
  4. The only rom-coms I ever liked were the films by Nora Ephron. I wish someone of her style would start writing now!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to not like romances, but these days I find some of the new ones entertaining.

      Delete
  5. I've heard good things about the Beth O'Leary books and might try one sometime.

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve read two of hers and will look for the others too !

      Delete
  6. I like the sound of Lucy Checks In, though I'm not sure why she'd be responsible for the debt incurred by her lover running off with money. Fixing up a hotel in France sounds like hard work, but I love that kind of work.

    I have The No-Show as well and I'm excited to read it. Hope we both love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the middle of the No-Show and can't wait to see what happens.

      Delete
  7. This is not a genre that attracts me currently, but who knows, maybe one day.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the French setting and customs the book includes, Emma. And I like a light romance every now and again.

      Delete
  8. Lucy Checks In sounds like a fun read. We've been watching Escape to the Chateau, so this one is especially appealing to me.

    And I can't wait (but I must wait, sadly) to read the new Beth O'Leary book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not as good as her previous one though.

      Delete
  9. They all sound good, I’m hoping The NoShow will appear in my letterbox soon.

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I have loved a couple books from Beth O'Leary, so The No-Show is going on my list.

    Enjoy your week, and here are my WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seoulmates sounds very cute! Glad you enjoyed Lucy Checks In. I love that it's set in France.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll be reading The No-Show soon! Right now I'm reading Lost and Found in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The No-Show was a DNF for me. None of the characters caught my attention. I hope you like it better. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm struggling with it and a bit disappointed, Kathy.

      Delete
  14. I do love a good rom-com, I've considered trying The No Show, though don't always enjoy books with multiple points of view/ more than one heroine/hero.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always enjoy a good rom/com. Sounds like you have a few on your shelf. Enjoy and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping Seoulmates will be a good romantic drama.

      Delete
  16. These look like fun romantic comedies. Hope you like them all. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need some rom-coms read at times so thanks for this list!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Three Novels: Japanese Mystery; Family Drama; Ecuadorian

  Books in the mail The Night of Baba Yaga  by Akira Otani (translated from the Japanese). July 2, 2024, Soho Crime This is an unusual novel...